Equation of a plane containing two lines

In summary, two lines are given with parametric equations and a method is provided to find the equation of the plane containing both lines. This involves finding the direction vectors of each line and taking their cross product to get a normal vector, then using a point on one of the lines to calculate the equation of the plane.
KevinL

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the plane that contains the lines given by:

(x-1)/-2 = y - 4 = z and (x-2)/-3 = (y-1)/4 = (z-2)/-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Not too sure about how to go about it. I believe these are the parametric equations for the lines:

x = 1-2t w/ normal vector = (-2,0,0)
y=4
z=0

x=2-3t w/ normal vector = (-3, 4, -1)
y=1+4t
z=2-t

If I take the cross product of those normal vectors, I get (0, -2, -8). What do I do from here or am I going in the wrong direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are going in the wrong direction. You don't want normal vectors for the two lines -- each line has an infinite number of normal vectors. What you want instead is a vector that has the same direction as the line.

You don't need to convert the symmetric equations for your lines into parametric equations - you can read off a point on each line and a vector parallel to the line from the equations.

For example, in the symmetric equations for L1, a point on the line is (1, 4, 0), and a vector that has the same direction as the line (is parallel to the line) is <-2, 1, 1>.

Use the same process to find the direction of the second line. When you get that vector, cross it with <-2, 1, 1>. That will give you a vector that is perpendicular to both given vectors, and hence both given lines. For the time being, let's call it <A, B, C>.

If you know a point (x0, y0, z0) on a plane and its normal, <A, B, C>, you can write the equation of the plane as A(x - x0) + B(y - y0) + C(z - z0) = 0.

KevinL said:

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the plane that contains the lines given by:

(x-1)/-2 = y - 4 = z and (x-2)/-3 = (y-1)/4 = (z-2)/-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Not too sure about how to go about it. I believe these are the parametric equations for the lines:

x = 1-2t w/ normal vector = (-2,0,0)
y=4
z=0

x=2-3t w/ normal vector = (-3, 4, -1)
y=1+4t
z=2-t

If I take the cross product of those normal vectors, I get (0, -2, -8). What do I do from here or am I going in the wrong direction?

You don't have "the" normal vector to a line; it has many normals. But you do have a direction vector to a line, which is what you are calculating, although the first one is wrong. If you write your first line in the symmetric form:

[tex]\frac {x-2}{-2} = \frac{y-4}{1} =\frac{z}{1}[/tex]

you will see that its direction vector is D = <-2,1,1>, not <-2,0,0>.

What you get when you cross them is a vector perpendicular to both of them, so perpendicular to the intended plane. With the normal vector and a point on one line, you can calculate the equation of the plane through that point containing that line. With luck, but it doesn't have to, it may also contain the other line; you have to check that.

Thanks guys, worked it out and the answer agrees with the back of the book :)

Related to Equation of a plane containing two lines

1. What is the equation of a plane containing two lines?

The equation of a plane containing two lines can be found by taking the cross product of the direction vectors of the two lines. This will give us the normal vector of the plane, which can then be used to find the equation of the plane in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0.

2. How do you find the direction vectors of two lines on a plane?

To find the direction vectors of two lines on a plane, we can take any two points on each line and subtract them to get a vector in the direction of the line. This will give us two direction vectors, one for each line, which can then be used to find the equation of the plane containing both lines.

3. Can a plane contain two parallel lines?

No, a plane cannot contain two parallel lines. In order for a plane to contain two lines, they must intersect at some point. If the lines are parallel, they will never intersect and therefore cannot be contained in the same plane.

4. Is the equation of a plane containing two lines unique?

No, the equation of a plane containing two lines is not unique. This is because there are infinite planes that can contain the two lines, as long as they intersect at some point. However, the normal vector of the plane will be unique and can be used to find the equation of the plane.

5. Can the equation of a plane containing two lines be used to find the point of intersection between the lines?

Yes, the equation of a plane containing two lines can be used to find the point of intersection between the lines. This can be done by setting the equation of the plane equal to the equations of each line and solving the system of equations for the values of x, y, and z. These values will give us the coordinates of the point of intersection between the two lines.