Equation of a curve using a given point and slope

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a curve with a slope of 5y at any point (x,y) and passing through the point (1,-2). The conversation includes a discussion of various methods for solving the problem, as well as a final solution of y = -2e^{-5}e^{5x}.
metalscot
Find a curve whose slope at any point (x,y) is equal to 5y, and which passes through the point (1,-2)

All previous examples which i have seen of this type of question give a much more complex slope and always in terms of x.
This is causing me a bit of confusion with my answer. Should I work though it by integrating the slope and putting this equal to x instead of y i.e

x=5/2y^2 + C

then plug in my given x and y to obtain C=-9
giving a final equation of

x= 5/2y^2 -9

or should I work through using a general solution using arbitrary constant?

All help will be very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
metalscot said:
Find a curve whose slope at any point (x,y) is equal to 5y, and which passes through the point (1,-2)

All previous examples which i have seen of this type of question give a much more complex slope and always in terms of x.
This is causing me a bit of confusion with my answer. Should I work though it by integrating the slope and putting this equal to x instead of y i.e

x=5/2y^2 + C

then plug in my given x and y to obtain C=-9
giving a final equation of

x= 5/2y^2 -9

or should I work through using a general solution using arbitrary constant?

All help will be very much appreciated
This problem implicitly asks you to solve the initial condition differential equation, dy/dx = 5y, y(1) = -2.

Your solution doesn't work. For your equation, dy/dx = 1/(5y).

Mark44 said:
This problem implicitly asks you to solve the initial condition differential equation, dy/dx = 5y, y(1) = -2.

Your solution doesn't work. For your equation, dy/dx = 1/(5y).

From the initail conditions given I then re-arrange to give dy/y = 5dx?

and integrate this to obtain lny = 5x +c

dy/dx= 5y so dy/y= 5dx has nothing to do with the initial condition, that y(1)= -2.

Be careful! Integrating dy/y does NOT give ln y. It gives ln|y|. Often, we are working with positive numbers, but the condition that y(1)= -2 makes the difference important! Now, what value of c gives y satisfying y(1)= -2?

HallsofIvy said:
dy/dx= 5y so dy/y= 5dx has nothing to do with the initial condition, that y(1)= -2.

Be careful! Integrating dy/y does NOT give ln y. It gives ln|y|. Often, we are working with positive numbers, but the condition that y(1)= -2 makes the difference important! Now, what value of c gives y satisfying y(1)= -2?

Working through i get

y=Ae^5x

so A=-2e^-5

so y=-2e^-5e^5x ??

metalscot said:
Working through i get

y=Ae^5x

so A=-2e^-5

so y=-2e^-5e^5x ??
Sure, but you can check this yourself. Once you have found the solution, most of the hard work is done, and it's a simple matter to verify that your solution works.
Any solution you get must satisfy two conditions:
1) y' = 5y
2) y(1) = -2

If both of these are true for your solution, then your function is a solution to the initial condition problem.

Last, how you wrote your solution is not technically correct and it's more difficult to read than it needs to be.

y = -2e^(-5) * e^(5x)

or (using the X2 button, in the expanded menu after you click Go Advanced), you can write it like this:
y = -2e-5e5x

or you can learn a bit of LaTeX to make it look like this:
[tex]y = -2e^{-5}e^{5x}[/tex]

Mark44 said:
Sure, but you can check this yourself. Once you have found the solution, most of the hard work is done, and it's a simple matter to verify that your solution works.
Any solution you get must satisfy two conditions:
1) y' = 5y
2) y(1) = -2

If both of these are true for your solution, then your function is a solution to the initial condition problem.

[tex]y = -2e^{-5}e^{5x}[/tex]

Thanks a lot mark44 and halls of ivy. Appreciate your help

Related to Equation of a curve using a given point and slope

1. What is the equation of a curve using a given point and slope?

The equation of a curve using a given point and slope is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is the given point and m is the slope.

2. How do you find the equation of a curve using a given point and slope?

To find the equation of a curve using a given point and slope, plug the values of the given point and slope into the formula y - y1 = m(x - x1). Simplify the equation to get the final equation of the curve.

3. Can you use any point and slope to find the equation of a curve?

Yes, as long as you have a point and a corresponding slope, you can use them to find the equation of a curve. However, the equation will only be valid for that specific curve and will not apply to other curves.

4. How does the slope affect the shape of the curve?

The slope of a curve determines its steepness or how quickly the curve is changing. A higher slope will result in a steeper curve, while a lower slope will result in a flatter curve.

5. Is it possible to find the equation of a straight line using a given point and slope?

Yes, the equation of a straight line can also be found using a given point and slope. In this case, the equation would be y - y1 = mx - mx1 or y = mx + b, where b is the y-intercept.