Equation for Tangent at (1,2) of y=2(sqrt(x)) | Derivatives Tutorial

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for the tangent to a curve at a given point using the limit definition of the derivative. The speaker is stuck at a certain step and asks for guidance, while the other person suggests using a more efficient method involving finding the derivative using the formula \frac{d}{dx} x^n=nx^{n-1}. The final answer is given as y = x+1.
ur5pointos2sl
Find an equation for the tangent to the curve at the given point.

y=2(sqrt(x)) point- (1,2)

Ok so I think I can work most of it then I get stuck. I am not sure how you guys use the codes so I will try to type it out the best I can.

lim = ( f(a+h)-f(a) ) / (h)
h->0
= f(1+h)-f(1) / h
= (2 sqrt(1+h) - 2) / h

This is where I have gotten to. substituting in now will give me a 0 in my denominator. So where would I go next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the limit definition of the derivative is often quite tedious to actually find a derivative. Have you seen the result:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} x^n=nx^{n-1}[/tex]

That will be much more useful for finding the derivative of your function.

danago said:
Using the limit definition of the derivative is often quite tedious to actually find a derivative. Have you seen the result:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} x^n=nx^{n-1}[/tex]

That will be much more useful for finding the derivative of your function.

The teacher has not yet introduced us to that form to find the derivatives yet. He says that's the easy way. he just gave us the formula f(a+h)-f(a) / h and told us to use that until we actually get into derivatives.

The answer is y = x+1

Related to Equation for Tangent at (1,2) of y=2(sqrt(x)) | Derivatives Tutorial

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is often used to find the slope of a curve or the instantaneous rate of change of a quantity.

Why do we use derivatives?

Derivatives are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model and understand changes in quantities over time. They are also essential in optimization and rate of change problems.

How do you calculate a derivative?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. Alternatively, there are various rules and formulas for calculating derivatives of different types of functions.

What is the difference between a derivative and a differential?

A derivative is a function that represents the rate of change of a function, while a differential is a notation used to represent the derivative. In other words, a differential is the notation used to represent a derivative, and it is often written as dy/dx.

What are some real-life applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have many practical applications, such as predicting stock market trends, modeling population growth, and optimizing engineering designs. They are also used in fields like meteorology to analyze weather patterns and in medicine to study changes in biological systems.