Epsilon-Delta proof for continuity of x^3 at x=1

It summarizes the basic tools a student has at his disposal for proving continuity of a function, using the proper definition. So, in summary, for proving continuity of a function at a certain point using the epsilon-delta technique, one needs to find a suitable delta value that will give the desired result of the function's value being within a certain epsilon distance from the point's value.
Tomp
I am trying to complete a previous exam and have come across a question which I am unable to do. I know how to complete an epsilon delta proof for limits, however, not to prove continuity... We haven't seemed to cover this in our lecture notes :/

Using an epsilon-delta technique, prove that f(x) = x3
is continuous at x = 1

Can someone provide a brief proof of this explaining the steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tompo said:
I am trying to complete a previous exam and have come across a question which I am unable to do. I know how to complete an epsilon delta proof for limits, however, not to prove continuity... We haven't seemed to cover this in our lecture notes :/

Using an epsilon-delta technique, prove that f(x) = x3
is continuous at x = 1

Can someone provide a brief proof of this explaining the steps?

Hi Tompo, :)

Welcome to MHB! :) First you have to be familiar with the epsilon delta definition of continuity (Refer >>this<<).

We say that the function \(f:I\rightarrow \Re\) is continuous at \(c\in I\) if for each \(\epsilon>0\) there exists \(\delta>0\) such that,

\[| f(x) - f(c) |<\epsilon\mbox{ whenever }| x - c |<\delta\]

In your case you have \(f(x)=x^3\) and \(c=1\). First take any \(\epsilon>0\) and consider \(|f(x)-f(1)|\). Try to find a \(\delta>0\) such that \(|f(x)-f(1)|<\epsilon\) whenever \(|x-1|<\delta\). >>Here<< you will find some examples of using the epsilon delta definition to show continuity.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

You can also check out the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/differential-calculus-tutorial-1393/, in post # 2.

Related to Epsilon-Delta proof for continuity of x^3 at x=1

1. What is an Epsilon-Delta proof?

An Epsilon-Delta proof is a method used in calculus to prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. It involves using the concepts of limit, distance, and error to show that the function value remains close to the desired value within a given distance.

2. How is an Epsilon-Delta proof used to prove continuity?

An Epsilon-Delta proof involves setting a specific error range (epsilon) and a distance range (delta) around the desired point, and then showing that for any value within that delta range, the function value will remain within the epsilon range. This demonstrates that the function is continuous at that point.

3. Why is an Epsilon-Delta proof important?

An Epsilon-Delta proof is important because it provides a rigorous and mathematical way to prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. It allows us to confidently state that a function is continuous, rather than just making an intuitive assumption.

4. Can you give an example of an Epsilon-Delta proof for continuity of x^3 at x=1?

Yes, let's say we want to prove the continuity of the function f(x) = x^3 at x=1. We set our error range (epsilon) to be 0.1 and our distance range (delta) to be 0.01. Then, we show that for any value of x within 0.01 of 1 (i.e. 0.99 to 1.01), the corresponding value of f(x) will be within 0.1 of 1. This can be done using algebraic manipulation and the properties of limits.

5. Are all functions continuous using the Epsilon-Delta proof?

No, not all functions can be proven continuous using the Epsilon-Delta proof. This method works for most common functions, but there are some functions that are discontinuous at certain points, such as the Dirichlet function. In these cases, other methods must be used to prove continuity.