Entropy, reversible process

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between entropy changes for an ideal gas taken from an initial temperature to a higher final temperature along two different reversible paths (constant pressure and constant volume). The answer to the given question is choice a (delta S(A) > delta S(B)), which may seem contradictory to the concept of entropy being a state variable. However, this is because the final states for the two paths are different, with different pressures and volumes. The state of a system is determined by temperature, pressure, and volume, and if all three are the same, then the entropy will also be the same.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

An ideal gas is taken from an initial temperature Ti to a higher final temperature Tf along two different reversible paths: Path A is at constant pressure; Path B is at constant volume. The relation between the entropy changes of the gas for these paths is
a) delta S(A) > delta S(B)
b) delta S(A) = delta S(B)
c) delta S(A) < delta S(B)

Homework Equations

delta S = delta Qr / T
Qr = heat transferred to system while the system is going along a reversible path

The Attempt at a Solution

This is one of those checkpoint questions in the chapter and the answer is given as choice a (delta S(A) > delta S(B)).

I'm confused though because in this book, it says that entropy is a state variable and as such, it only depends on the endpoints and is therefore independent of the actual path taken from A to B. But here, we're taking two different paths and yet we're getting that the change in entropy going from one path is different than when we take the other path.

I think the answer should be choice b (delta S(A) = delta S(B)).

It would seem that if you're only dependent on the endpoints, then regardless of the path taken, if you're going from A to B in multiple ways, that the entropy should be the same for all cases.

Where am I going wrong in my thought process? Thanks a lot ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
eprparadox said:
it says that entropy is a state variable and as such, it only depends on the endpoints
Remind me -- does state include pressure and volume too? Or does the state involve temperature alone?

The final states are different. Though they end at the same temperature, the two paths end at different pressures and volumes.

Hurkyl said:
Remind me -- does state include pressure and volume too? Or does the state involve temperature alone?

Ah, I think I see. So if we a system taking two paths to some final state, then that final state is the same for that system only if the pressure, volume, and temperature are all the same?

And if this is true, then the entropy should be the same as well?

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

I would say that the answer to this question depends on the specific conditions and assumptions of the problem. If we assume that the gas is an ideal gas and that the process is reversible, then the answer is indeed choice a. This is because for a reversible process, the heat transferred to the system (Qr) is equal to the change in entropy (delta S) divided by the temperature (T). Since the temperatures are different for paths A and B, the change in entropy will also be different.

However, if we relax the assumption of reversibility and consider an irreversible process, then the answer would be choice b. This is because in an irreversible process, the heat transferred to the system is not equal to the change in entropy divided by temperature. In fact, the change in entropy for an irreversible process is always greater than or equal to the change in entropy for a reversible process between the same two states. In this case, the specific paths taken from A to B do not matter, as the change in entropy will be the same regardless.

Therefore, it is important to consider the specific conditions and assumptions of the problem when determining the relationship between entropy changes for different paths.

Related to Entropy, reversible process

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is often described as the measure of the unavailability of a system's energy to do work.

2. How is entropy related to the reversible process?

In a reversible process, the change in entropy is equal to the heat absorbed or released divided by the temperature. This means that in a reversible process, the entropy of the system remains constant.

3. What is an example of a reversible process?

An example of a reversible process is the melting of ice into water. When heat is added to ice, it melts into water, and when heat is removed, the water freezes back into ice, without any change in entropy.

4. How does entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that in any real process, there will always be some amount of irreversibility and an increase in entropy.

5. Can entropy be decreased?

Theoretically, entropy can be decreased in a reversible process. However, in real-world systems, entropy can never be decreased, and the second law of thermodynamics always holds true.