Entropy of a mole of an ideal gas

In summary, the entropy of one mole of an ideal gas is given by the integral of (Cv dT + PdV)/T. This can be deduced from the first law of thermodynamics and the definition of molar entropy and molar volume. The bounds of the integral cannot be written definitively as they depend on the process being analyzed.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that the entropy of one mole of an ideal gas is given by [tex]\Delta S = \int \frac{C_v dT+PdV}{T}[/tex].
2. The attempt at a solution
[tex]\Delta S= \frac{dQ}{T}[/tex]. From the 1st of Thermodynamics, [tex]\Delta U= \Delta Q - \Delta W[/tex], where [tex]W[/tex] is the work done by the gas. Hence [tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U + \Delta W \Rightarrow dQ=dU+dW=C_vdT+PdV[/tex]. So [tex]\Delta S= \int \frac{C_vdT+PdV}{T}[/tex].[tex]\square[/tex].
But this is cheat. By this I mean that I didn't know that [tex]dU=C_vdT[/tex]. I deduced it because I had to fall over the result. How can I deduce [tex]dU=C_vdT[/tex], for an ideal gas?
Where did I supposed the 1 mol of the ideal gas?
Last question, what are the bounds of the integral of the change of entropy?
Because [tex]\Delta S = \int \frac{C_v dT+PdV}{T}=\int \frac{C_vdT}{T}+ \int \frac{PdV}{T}[/tex] and I'm sure the bounds of the 2 integrals are different. For instance I think that the bounds of [tex]\int \frac{PdV}{T}[/tex] are [tex]\int_{V_1}^{V_2} \frac{PdV}{T}[/tex]. And I guess that the bounds of [tex]\int \frac{C_vdT}{T}[/tex] are [tex]\int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{C_vdT}{T}[/tex] but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
How can I deduce [tex]dU=C_vdT[/tex], for an ideal gas?

By definition,

[tex]C_X=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_X[/tex]

where [itex]X[/itex] is some constraint. This is easily combined with [itex]dU=T\,dS-P\,dV[/itex].

fluidistic said:
Where did I supposed the 1 mol of the ideal gas?

If you define [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] as the molar entropy and molar volume, respectively, then everything works out. You'll just multiply the answer by 1 mole.

fluidistic said:
Last question, what are the bounds of the integral of the change of entropy?

I don't believe it's possible to write a definite integral that contains both [itex]dT[/itex] and [itex]dV[/itex]. Combining them is a useful shorthand that works for the indefinite integral only.

Ok, thank you very much!

For a constant volume process, W = 0. From the first law, if W = 0, dQ = dU.

By definition dQ = nCvdT for a constant volume process. So dU = nCvdT.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
For a constant volume process, W = 0. From the first law, if W = 0, dQ = dU.

By definition dQ = nCvdT for a constant volume process. So dU = nCvdT.

AM

Thanks. I think I understand well now.

Related to Entropy of a mole of an ideal gas

1. What is entropy of a mole of an ideal gas?

The entropy of a mole of an ideal gas is a measure of the disorder or randomness of the gas molecules. It is a thermodynamic quantity that represents the amount of energy that is unavailable for work during a thermodynamic process.

2. How is entropy related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, can be used to calculate the entropy of a mole of an ideal gas. The change in entropy can be calculated using the equation ΔS = nR ln(Vf/Vi), where n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, Vf is the final volume, and Vi is the initial volume.

3. What factors affect the entropy of a mole of an ideal gas?

The entropy of a mole of an ideal gas is affected by the temperature, volume, and number of moles of the gas. As temperature increases, the entropy also increases. As volume increases, the entropy also increases. And as the number of moles increases, the entropy increases proportionally.

4. Why is the entropy of a mole of an ideal gas important?

The entropy of a mole of an ideal gas is important because it is a key factor in understanding and predicting the behavior of gases in various thermodynamic processes. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of thermodynamics and is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of heat engines and refrigeration systems.

5. How is the entropy of a mole of an ideal gas affected by a change in temperature?

As mentioned earlier, the entropy of a mole of an ideal gas increases with an increase in temperature. This is because as temperature increases, the molecules of the gas have more kinetic energy and move more rapidly, leading to a more disordered state and therefore a higher entropy. Conversely, a decrease in temperature would result in a decrease in entropy.