Engineering physics undergrad to Aerospace grad

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between pursuing an aerospace degree or an engineering physics degree with a concentration in space topics, specifically propulsion systems. The individual is interested in research and development in this field and is considering the benefits of each degree when applying to a graduate program. The conversation also touches on the importance of ABET certification for grad school and the necessary coursework for each degree. Ultimately, it is determined that either degree can be successful in preparing for a graduate program in aerospace.
xyphy
I am currently deciding between going for an aerospace degree or an engineering physics degree with concentrations in space topics (propulsion, system design, etc). I am interested in propulsion systems and possibly doing research and development in this this field. I think enjoy the science side of it more, but am thinking that I may be better off with an aerospace degree when applying to a graduate program in aerospace. Can anyone offer insight into this? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go for engineering physics. I've looked up some aero/astro programs and they seem pretty lax on their undergrad degree requirements. An EP program should give you enough of a technical background for grad study in AA. Also, if you're interested in propulsion systems, you'll need a lot more E&M than what you'd get in an aerospace undergrad program.

OK, thanks. Do grad schools care much about ABET certification? I was under the impression that it is more imperative for those going straight to industry and not so much for those seeking graduate school, but I don't really have much knowledge on which to base that. I know that Stanford's undergrad aerospace isn't certified, and it seems like it hasn't hindered grad program acceptances. Any info/opinions on this or on the topic above is appreciated.

Can it be done? Absolutely. If you want to go into propulsion, you'll probably need a bit of review of fluid dynamics (especially compressible flows), since aerospace programs usually cover that in the undergraduate level, while engineering physics does not. Other than that though, it should be OK. E&M usually isn't required for propulsion unless you're specifically looking at things such as ion engines, so I'm not quite sure what rhombusjr was getting at with that comment.

(I assume you have some thermodynamics already?)

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. If I decide to do the EP route, I would have quite a few free credits that would allow me to take coursed based on my interest/future plans. I actually do have quite a bit of interest in electric propulsion, one the reasons why I am strongly considering the engineering physics. My main concern is that grad programs may be more willing to accept a student with an aerospace degree because the inevitably had more exposure to aerospace studies.

Ahh - I misread the first post. I assumed you'd already done an undergrad in engineering physics. I would say that either degree should work fine, honestly. If you decide to go aerospace undergrad, you'll probably want to take a bit more E&M than required by the curriculum (based on the interest in electric propulsion), and if you decide to go engineering physics, I'd make sure to take at least one semester of solid thermo (which is probably required anyways), as well as an aerodynamics course if possible (one that covers compressible flows if possible). It isn't absolutely necessary, but it would help once you get into an aerospace graduate program.

Ok, thanks so much, that helps a lot.

Related to Engineering physics undergrad to Aerospace grad

What is the difference between engineering physics and aerospace engineering?

Engineering physics is a broad field that combines principles of physics and engineering to solve complex problems in various industries. Aerospace engineering is a specific branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and testing of aircraft and spacecraft. While engineering physics may cover some aspects of aerospace engineering, such as mechanics and materials, aerospace engineering has a more specialized focus on aerospace applications.

Can I pursue a graduate degree in aerospace engineering with an undergraduate degree in engineering physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in aerospace engineering with an undergraduate degree in engineering physics. Many graduate programs in aerospace engineering accept students from a variety of engineering backgrounds, including engineering physics. However, it is important to check the specific requirements of the graduate program you are interested in to ensure you meet all the necessary prerequisites.

What are some common career paths for someone with a background in engineering physics and aerospace engineering?

Some common career paths for individuals with a background in engineering physics and aerospace engineering include aerospace engineer, research scientist, systems engineer, and project manager. These professionals may work in various industries, such as aerospace and defense, government agencies, and research institutions.

What skills and knowledge are important for success in a graduate program in aerospace engineering?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are crucial for success in a graduate program in aerospace engineering. Additionally, a solid understanding of mechanics, materials, and thermodynamics is important. Experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages such as MATLAB and Python may also be beneficial.

Are there any research opportunities for graduate students in aerospace engineering?

Yes, there are many research opportunities for graduate students in aerospace engineering. Many universities have research labs and centers focused on aerospace engineering, and students may have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects in areas such as aerodynamics, propulsion, and space systems. Additionally, graduate students may have the opportunity to work on research projects with industry partners or government agencies.