Engineering Physics: Questions About Cornell Program & Availability

In summary, Cornell's website describes their engineering physics program very well. It seems like it would be a great fit for me, and the more advanced mathematics is a bonus. I am also interested in the option of going more theoretical with my graduate degree later on. However, I don't know if this is a popular major, and it seems to be rare. I think I'll check out some more schools before making a decision.
jmcgraw
I was looking at Cornell's website describing its engineering physics program, and it appealed to me A LOT. I've had a hard time choosing an engineering field, and this seems like it's for me. I also would love to study the more advanced mathematics which EP requires. It also seems to give me the option of going a more theoretical route in graduate school later, if I so choose.

Does anyone know much about this field? I don't want to go solely by what the Cornell site says, since they will obviously put their best foot forward. For example, the Cornell site says that EP majors earn amounts on the high end of the pay-scale when they find jobs. (??)

One more thing... Why is it that relatively few schools offer this major? I see that MIT, Stanford, Cal tech, all don't offer it for example.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of schools that offer something similar, and they may not call it by the same name. Look at the University of Wisconsin-Madison under a program called "AMEP", for Appllied Mathematics, Engineering, and Physics degree. As for Stanford, have you looked at their Applied Physics department?

Zz.

In order to add to what was just said, I went to Brigham Young University (BYU), and they also have many ways to cater your physics major. I chose to become a high school physics teacher, and instead of getting the standard BA in Physics Teaching, I got a BS in Applied Physics. This degree allowed me to substitute some of my upper division classed for education classes.

This applied option is good for many different areas of emphasis. I had a friend who had his emphasis in Mechanical Engineering. Another guy did it in Bio-Engineering. There are plenty of options when customizing the applied physics degree.

I would guess that there are many other shools that do similar things too.

Good Luck.

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/majors/Schools.asp?majorID=439
Here is a list of schools offering this major.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
As for Stanford, have you looked at their Applied Physics department?
Zz.

Yeah, from their website: "The Applied Physics Department does not offer an undergraduate major."

So, in general, is an applied physics degree pretty much the same as an "engineering physics" degree?

jmcgraw said:
Yeah, from their website: "The Applied Physics Department does not offer an undergraduate major."

So, in general, is an applied physics degree pretty much the same as an "engineering physics" degree?

Not necessarily. The stanford's applied physics degree (at least at the graduate level) has more in common with physics than engineering. It is just that it is concentrates on areas of physics that has a clear application, such as condensed matter, atomic/molecular, etc. You won't find, for example, people doing string theory or cosmology in there.

Zz.

Related to Engineering Physics: Questions About Cornell Program & Availability

1. What is the engineering physics program at Cornell University?

The engineering physics program at Cornell University is an interdisciplinary program that combines the principles of physics and engineering to solve complex problems in various fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and renewable energy. It offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees, allowing students to tailor their studies to their specific interests.

2. What are the admission requirements for the engineering physics program at Cornell?

To be considered for the engineering physics program at Cornell, applicants must have a strong background in physics and mathematics, as well as a passion for applying their knowledge to real-world problems. They must also meet the general admission requirements for Cornell University, including submitting standardized test scores and completing an application essay.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the engineering physics program at Cornell?

Graduates of the engineering physics program at Cornell are well-equipped for a variety of careers in both the academic and industrial sectors. Some common career paths include research and development, engineering, consulting, and teaching. Graduates may also choose to pursue further education in graduate or professional programs.

4. Can students in other majors or schools at Cornell take courses in the engineering physics program?

Yes, students in other majors or schools at Cornell are welcome to take courses in the engineering physics program. However, as the program is highly rigorous and interdisciplinary, it is recommended that students have a strong background in physics and mathematics before enrolling in these courses.

5. Are there opportunities for hands-on research experience in the engineering physics program at Cornell?

Yes, there are many opportunities for hands-on research experience in the engineering physics program at Cornell. The program has close ties with various research centers and labs on campus, providing students with the chance to work on cutting-edge projects in their field of interest. Additionally, students have the option to participate in independent research projects or work alongside faculty on their research projects.