Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, Matrix Algebra - too hard?

In summary: I think Statics is the only one we don't have to take =)In summary, I am currently signed up for Fall Quarter Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, and Matrix algebra at the University of Washington. I got a B- in calc 2 and A- in calc 1. I understand integration pretty well, but my teacher didn't speak any English at all, so I completely bombed a couple of the tests. Taking all of these classes together might be suicide, but I must stay in physics.
Huskyguy
Hello, I am currently signed up for Fall Quarter Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, and Matrix algebra at the University of Washington.

Right now I am sort of skeptical if I should drop one of these classes because I have heard horror stories from at least one of each of these classes. I got a B- in calc 2 and A- in calc 1. I understand integration pretty well, but my teacher didn't speak any English at all, so I completely bombed a couple of the tests.

Is taking all of these together suicide? Keep in mind that I MUST stay in physics.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

3 courses is considered a very easy semester

UW goes on a quarter system

That seems very manageable.

In terms of math, those are PRETTY much computational classes, so they might take some time, but overall you should be fine if you can manage your time well.

I took Physics 2 last year, which is really more geared towards Electrical Engineers...and it was my toughest class, I hated it, because it really was not of any interest and didn't have much to do with my degree, other two shouldn't be too bad...I am not sure what your school's "Engineering Physics" is...probably torque and all that good stuff. That stuff is actually interesting and good for your degree

romsofia said:
In terms of math, those are PRETTY much computational classes, so they might take some time, but overall you should be fine if you can manage your time well.

By computational, do you mean they are mostly "cookbook" plug-and-chug type math? I have been reading into Matrix Algebra a little bit and it seems terribly tedious, but after reading into Diff EQ, it seems more straight forward; just lots of integration. Was Matrix Algebra hard for you?

C268 said:
I took Physics 2 last year, which is really more geared towards Electrical Engineers...and it was my toughest class, I hated it, because it really was not of any interest and didn't have much to do with my degree, other two shouldn't be too bad...I am not sure what your school's "Engineering Physics" is...probably torque and all that good stuff. That stuff is actually interesting and good for your degree

My physics class is considered the first physics in the calculus based physics series - It is titled "Mechanics" and geared for engineers and scientists. I am majoring in Electrical Engineering, so that information is good/scary to hear. From what I have heard most of the physics classes at UW have to curved because so many people fail the exams. =(

Last edited:

romsofia said:

I would have to disagree about the matrix algebra class, at least compared to my experience. At uvic, there are 2 matrix algebra/linear algebra courses, one is geared towards the engineers and IS primarily applied linear algebra, but the one that is required for physicists is very proof-based and lays down the foundational theory quite rigorously.

Huskyguy said:
My physics class is considered the first physics in the calculus based physics series - It is titled "Mechanics" and geared for engineers and scientists. I am majoring in Electrical Engineering, so that information is good/scary to hear. From what I have heard most of the physics classes at UW have to curved because so many people fail the exams. =(

hahaha soooo true. Physics 1 isn't too bad, Physics 2 was tough, it could have been my teacher though...my advice do the homework and don't slack off...if there is a recitation for the class TAKE IT - this is a MUST. I am lucky to have a friend who is ridiculously smart so he helped me out a lot. Some of the exams were filled with just stupid questions I had never seen, most were conceptual questions where you really have to think. The final exam wasn't too bad I think I got a 78% on it which for that class is amazing haha. Thankfully I am done with all my "basics" sort of classes like Calc 1, Calc 2, Chemistry, Physics 1, and Physics 2, as well as a Solidworks class and general Engineering class - some other classes as well. I am entering the true engineering classes this year, starting classes on Monday. I have Statics which I hear is really tough, so we will see how it goes. My understanding is once your past Thermodynamics, Fluids, and Statics your pretty set. I believe I take all those this year. Of course, those are for Mechanical Engineering so chances are you won't take those for EE. Thankfully math has always been fairly easy for me so that's a big plus in Engineering

C268. I don't think we have to take Thermodynamics or Fluids, but I know we have to take Engineering Stats which I have heard lots of terrible things about. I know a couple of the guys that are almost done with the EE program, and they said that Electrodynamics is a pretty rough class.. well all of the EE classes are hard, but they said Electrodynamics and Engineering Stats in particular suck.

As ecneicS pointed, it will depend if your class is proof based or not. If it's proof based, then you will have to actually spend time thinking about your proofs, making sure they actually make sense, etc.

Related to Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, Matrix Algebra - too hard?

1. Why do I need to study Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, and Matrix Algebra?

Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, and Matrix Algebra are essential subjects for any scientist or engineer. They provide the fundamental mathematical and analytical skills needed for solving complex problems and designing innovative solutions in various fields.

2. What makes Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, and Matrix Algebra difficult?

These subjects require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. They involve advanced concepts and techniques that can be challenging to understand and apply. Additionally, students may struggle with visualizing abstract concepts and translating them into real-world scenarios.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, and Matrix Algebra?

Practice is key when it comes to mastering these subjects. Make sure to work through plenty of problems and seek help from your professors or tutors when needed. It also helps to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to make connections between different concepts.

4. Are there any resources or tools that can aid in learning these subjects?

Yes, there are many resources available to help students learn Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, and Matrix Algebra. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Additionally, software such as Matlab or Wolfram Alpha can be useful for visualizing and solving complex equations.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, and Matrix Algebra?

Graduates with a strong understanding of Engineering Physics, Diff EQ, and Matrix Algebra can pursue careers in various fields, such as engineering, physics, finance, data science, and research. These subjects provide a versatile skill set that can be applied to a wide range of industries and professions.