Mathematics in Physics: Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Geometry

• Studying
  • Thread starter RubinLicht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the types of math used in different aspects of physics include calculus, linear algebra, vector calculus, differential geometry, tensors, abstract algebra, group theory, and knot theory. These techniques are used in various areas such as general relativity, quantum field theory, electromagnetism, and superstring theory. Additionally, probability and statistics and combinatorics are also important in describing random processes and complex systems. As an avid self-studier, it is recommended to prioritize and plan your math and physics courses to align with your interests and goals.
RubinLicht
I would like to know the types of math used in different aspects of physics, so that i know where to go from now on. Although i am planning to major in electrical engineering i will not fail to maintain physics as at the very least a hardcore hobby (and maybe double major in physics and ee). Here is what i have so far

Calculus: everything
Linear Alg: any time you deal with lots of vectors: GR, QFT.
Vector Calc: EM
Diff Geometry: GR
Tensors: GR, mechanics
Abstract Algebra: vector spaces/orthgonality etc for gr
Group Theory: QFT,
Knot Theory: Superstring Theory

feel free to add more, pure math is welcome as long as the benefits and applications are specified.
I am currently in high school and trying to plan out what to learn and when (i am an avid self studier), so any additions are highly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
RubinLicht said:
I would like to know the types of math used in different aspects of physics, so that i know where to go from now on. Although i am planning to major in electrical engineering i will not fail to maintain physics as at the very least a hardcore hobby (and maybe double major in physics and ee). Here is what i have so far

Calculus: everything
Linear Alg: any time you deal with lots of vectors: GR, QFT.
Vector Calc: EM
Diff Geometry: GR
Tensors: GR, mechanics
Abstract Algebra: vector spaces/orthgonality etc for gr
Group Theory: QFT,
Knot Theory: Superstring Theory

feel free to add more, pure math is welcome as long as the benefits and applications are specified.
I am currently in high school and trying to plan out what to learn and when (i am an avid self studier), so any additions are highly appreciated!
You're missing probability and statistics and combinatorics. These techniques find use throughout physics and engineering to describe random processes or behavior of complex systems over the long and short terms.

Likes RubinLicht
RubinLicht said:
I would like to know the types of math used in different aspects of physics, so that i know where to go from now on. Although i am planning to major in electrical engineering i will not fail to maintain physics as at the very least a hardcore hobby (and maybe double major in physics and ee). Here is what i have so far...

See overview:
http://ls.poly.edu/~jbain/Cat/lectures/01.BranchesofMath.pdf
... try again. ;)

...feel free to add more, pure math is welcome as long as the benefits and applications are specified.
You may be better served to look ahead at the math courses and physucs courses and rank the courses in order of importance to what you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes RubinLicht

Related to Mathematics in Physics: Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Geometry

1. What are the main mathematical concepts used in physics?

The main mathematical concepts used in physics include algebra, calculus, geometry, differential equations, and statistics. Algebra is used to express relationships between variables, while calculus is used to study changes in these relationships. Geometry is used to understand the shape and properties of objects in space. Differential equations are used to model physical systems and phenomena, and statistics is used to analyze and interpret data.

2. How is calculus used in physics?

Calculus is used in physics to study the rate of change of physical quantities and to calculate the total change over a given interval. It is especially useful in studying motion, as it allows us to calculate velocity, acceleration, and displacement. In addition, calculus is used in many other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and thermodynamics.

3. Why is geometry important in physics?

Geometry is important in physics because it helps us understand the shape and properties of objects in space. This is crucial for understanding how forces and energy interact with these objects, and for visualizing and solving problems involving motion and other physical phenomena. In addition, many mathematical concepts used in physics, such as vectors and tensors, are based on geometric principles.

4. What is the role of statistics in physics?

Statistics plays a vital role in physics by allowing us to analyze and interpret data. In experimental physics, data is collected through observations and measurements, and statistics is used to determine the accuracy and significance of these data. In theoretical physics, statistics is used to test hypotheses and make predictions based on mathematical models.

5. How do differential equations relate to physics?

Differential equations are used in physics to model and describe physical systems and phenomena. This is because many physical processes can be represented as rates of change, and differential equations are used to study and solve these rates of change. Examples of physical phenomena that can be described by differential equations include motion, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics.