Engineering Degree: Open-ended Exams Explained

• Thread starter Hierophant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary: If you dream of becoming a mathematician and you take this class, you will most likely not be able to do well on the third part of the exam.
Hierophant
I am currently trying to learn more about what actually composes an Engineering degree (The curriculum)

I have a particular question about open ended exams, or exams that are scored relative to your classmates scores and also pose novel problems for you to solve.

Are these as hard as they sound? lol. Am I correct in my assumption that these particular exams with there novel problems are exercising inductive reasoning?

I'm somewhat lost and would enjoy clarification!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never had to do a test like that, but in my experience there's little correlation between the format of the test and how difficult it is. Even with multiple choice tests, your profs are going to try to make you deal with problems you've never encountered before (and they should). Unlike high school where you can just memorize the solution to each type of problem, engineering school is really trying to teach you how to attack a problem using your math/science toolbox. In the real world, you constantly have to deal with problems you've never seen before, and you have to figure out how to solve them using what you know. Engineering school should be preparing you for that, both by giving you a very strong toolbox of knowledge and techniques, and by making sure you can deal with problems that you've never dealt with before.

I am currently taking a mathematics course where the exams are three parts. The first part is just to regurgitate formulations of theorems and definitions. The second part is to prove important theorems that were presented in class and in the assigned readings. The third part is what all of my classmates call "bonus" problems. I am sure that there are people who have solved every single problem in the given time for the three part test but so far no one in my current class has been able to do it. We never get these tests back so we never really know how we did.

It is rumored that the professor doesn't even bother reading anything from the first two parts of the exam and only reads the last part. The professor has also said many times before that the third part let's him get to know the students thought process and since the class is small (17 students), it allows him to see where you stand and the sort of grade you actually deserve.

This does also mean that the dreams of some people who have wanted to become mathematicians have been destroyed.

Related to Engineering Degree: Open-ended Exams Explained

1. What is an open-ended exam?

An open-ended exam is an assessment method that requires students to provide detailed written responses to questions, rather than selecting from multiple choice or true/false options. This type of exam allows for more in-depth analysis and critical thinking skills to be evaluated.

2. How is an open-ended exam different from a traditional exam?

In a traditional exam, students are typically presented with a set of questions and must choose the correct answer from a list of options. In an open-ended exam, students are required to come up with their own answers and explanations, often in the form of essays or long-form written responses.

3. What are the benefits of open-ended exams?

Open-ended exams allow for a more comprehensive evaluation of a student's understanding and ability to apply knowledge. They also encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as students are required to provide their own responses and explanations rather than selecting from predetermined options.

4. Are there any drawbacks to open-ended exams?

One potential drawback of open-ended exams is that they can be more time-consuming for both students and instructors. Grading can also be more subjective, as there is no one correct answer to compare against. However, these challenges can be mitigated through careful planning and clear rubrics.

5. How can students prepare for open-ended exams?

To prepare for open-ended exams, students should make sure they have a strong understanding of the subject matter and are able to apply their knowledge to real-world scenarios. It can also be helpful to practice writing out explanations and responses to potential exam questions. Additionally, students should carefully review any guidelines or rubrics provided by the instructor to ensure they understand the expectations for the exam.