Engineering Degree: College Reputation Matters?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Sambony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on choosing a college for an engineering degree that is close to mountains for skiing and mountain biking. They are wondering if it is worth giving up their outdoor hobbies for a better school, and if there will be a significant difference in their education between a school with a good reputation and one that is more average. The responder mentions that attending a specific undergrad institution does not necessarily close doors, but may require more commitment and outstanding performance to open. They also highlight the importance of setting goals and making sacrifices for one's career.
Sambony
Hi everyone. This is my first post here and am looking for a little college wisdom in the engineering area.

Here's my dilemma:
I'd like to go to a school that is near mountains. I know, I know...I shouldn't be choosing a college because I want to be able to ski and mountain bike there. But where I live now these are right out my back door (skiing is pretty much what I live for in the winter) and the problem is that there seem to be very few decent schools that fit this category (maybe I'm missing some?). I just can't seem to convince myself that it is necessary to give up things that I love doing for four years just to go to a better school, unless I'll regret the decision later on or the difference is like night and day (is it?).

So here's my question:
How much of a difference is there going to be between getting a degree in engineering at a school with a very good reputation versus something more average? More specifically, let's say I went to a school such as CU-Boulder when I could probably get into something more similar to Cornell or Princeton. Am I going to be screwing myself in the long run? How different are the educations going to be for someone going for an engineering degree?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Sambony said:
Am I going to be screwing myself in the long run? How different are the educations going to be for someone going for an engineering degree?

Let me say that going to a particular undergrad institution will not absolutely close many doors for a person compared to going to an Ivy, but those doors may require a lot more commitment and outstanding performance to open. If you were asking, "I was only accepted at (state college X), am I screwed?" my answer would definitely be no. I would just say that there are more challenges.

From your post, it sounds like you are simply not committed to getting the best possible career for yourself that you can. This is fine, but it is this, and not the school, that will determine where you end up when you graduate. If you are at (state college X) and spend all of your time skiing, and if you don't choose to sacrifice some of your life outside of school, you will disadvantage yourself on the job market. It sounds like you may be okay with this fact though. The jobs you won't be eligible for are the jobs that will require long hours and strong performance and commitment. If you aren't willing to put in the time now, why would you want to after graduation? Everyone has to draw the line somewhere.

Maybe you should think about what your goals are for college and your career. Then you can decide what you need to do to get there from here.

Just to add about goals... if you are willing to work hard and make sacrifices, potential options for an undergrad from Princeton, for example, would include going to grad school anywhere you want. Want to be a hotshot lawyer? Doctor? Professor? Want to make millions on Wall Street or advise CEOs as a management consultant? Design ships for NASA? Advise Congress on energy policy? Those doors are still open until you close them.

Last edited:

I understand your dilemma. While it may seem tempting to choose a college based on its location and proximity to your hobbies, it is important to also consider the reputation and quality of the engineering program. Engineering is a highly competitive field and having a degree from a reputable institution can make a difference in your career prospects.

Firstly, let's address the question of whether the difference between a highly reputable school and a more average one is like "night and day." While it may not be an extreme difference, there are certainly benefits to attending a top engineering school. These schools often have well-established and well-funded engineering programs, with access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. They also tend to have highly qualified and experienced faculty, who can provide valuable insights and mentorship. Additionally, top engineering schools often have strong connections with industry and offer opportunities for internships and research projects, which can enhance your resume and give you practical experience.

On the other hand, attending a more average school may not offer these same opportunities and resources. This can potentially put you at a disadvantage when competing for jobs or graduate programs with students from top schools. However, it is important to note that your success ultimately depends on your own dedication, hard work, and skills, regardless of the school you attend.

In terms of the difference in education between a top school and a more average one, it may vary depending on the specific program and courses offered. However, top schools often have more rigorous and challenging curricula, which can better prepare you for the demands of the engineering industry. They may also offer a wider range of specialized courses and opportunities for research and hands-on learning.

In the end, it is up to you to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision that aligns with your personal and career goals. While location and lifestyle are important factors, it is also important to consider the long-term impact of your education and the reputation of the school you choose. I would recommend researching and comparing the engineering programs at different schools, considering factors such as curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and job placement rates. Ultimately, choosing a reputable engineering program can give you a competitive edge in your career and open up more opportunities for growth and success.

Related to Engineering Degree: College Reputation Matters?

1. What is the importance of college reputation when pursuing an engineering degree?

College reputation can greatly impact an engineering student's future career opportunities and success. Employers often consider the reputation of a candidate's alma mater when making hiring decisions, as it can be an indicator of the quality of education and training received.

2. How does a college's reputation affect the quality of education in an engineering program?

A college's reputation can influence the resources, faculty, and curriculum available in an engineering program. A highly reputable college is more likely to have state-of-the-art facilities, experienced and knowledgeable professors, and a well-rounded curriculum that prepares students for the competitive engineering industry.

3. Can a student from a lesser-known college still succeed in the engineering field?

While attending a reputable college can provide advantages, it does not guarantee success in the engineering field. A student's determination, hard work, and skills are ultimately what determine their success. A lesser-known college can also offer unique opportunities and experiences that can benefit a student in their engineering career.

4. Are there other factors besides reputation that should be considered when choosing an engineering program?

Yes, there are several factors that should be considered when choosing an engineering program, such as accreditation, curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and location. It is important for students to research and consider all aspects of a program before making a decision.

5. Is it worth attending a more prestigious engineering program even if it means taking on more debt?

This is a personal decision that each student must make based on their individual circumstances. While attending a prestigious engineering program may provide advantages, it is important to consider the potential financial burden of taking on more debt. Students should carefully weigh the costs and benefits before making a decision.