Engineering Curriculum Book List

In summary, the person is looking for advice on what books to read for a self-study engineering curriculum. They recommend books by people who have a degree in engineering.
KiwiKid
Hey everyone,

I'm starting applied physics in September, but I'd like to self-study engineering on the side. Not in the sense of practically getting an additional degree by self-studying, mind you, just out of interest... and because I might want to do a masters in engineering after I've done a degree in physics. In any case, when studying for a topic, I'd very much like to follow a curriculum similar to the ones actual engineering majors follow, because I figure that's the way to learn the most.

I realize there are a few bumps in the road here. For starters, there are no lectures, demonstrations or labs I can be at for engineering. On the other hand, engineering majors use books, too, so that's what I need some advice about.

If you're majoring or have a degree in ME, EE or AeroE (the fields of engineering I'm interested in), do you have a list of books in your curriculum you have read for your major or are going to read? What books would you recommend to someone trying to gain as complete as possible an education in the field? Do you think most of what you need to know is in those books, or are there any specific 'gaps' of knowledge you learned by attending specific lectures or labs?

The problem is, of course, that while there are thousands of books to find on all the different subjects, for someone who wants to study something by himself its very hard to figure out what to read, and in which order to read it (or even the prerequisites for reading some of those books - it's happened to me more than once that I would begin reading a book, only to find out three chapters in that it was way above my skill level). I would very much appreciate it if a few people could share such a book list, or offer some tips to compile such a list. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, there are no lectures, demonstrations or labs I can be at for engineering.

MIT OpenCourseWare.

If you're majoring or have a degree in ME, EE or AeroE (the fields of engineering I'm interested in), do you have a list of books in your curriculum you have read for your major or are going to read?

I can tell you my school's booklist for some classes.

-For the calculus sequence, they use Stewart's Calculus. I used Essential Calculus and found it pretty decent.
-For differential equations, Boyce and Diprima's DE book. It's an okay book - sometimes good, sometimes really freakin' bad.
-For vector calculus, Marsden's Vector Calculus. I haven't had anything more than a cursory glance at it, but I think I'm going to appreciate the mathematical formality in it. YMMV.

-For thermodynamics, I would recommend Moran and Shapiro's book.

-For programming and numerical methods in MATLAB, we used Chapman's MATLAB programming for engineers and Chapra's Numerical Methods for Engineers.

-For Statics and Dynamics I can recommend no better book than the one written by Bedford and Fowler. Amazing book.

-For Mechanics of Materials, we used Gere's Mechanics of Materials, which itself is a handed-down translation of a similar text by the world's foremost innovator in the field of materials, a guy by the name of Timoshenko.

-For orbital mechanics, we're using Curtis' Orbital Mechanics for Engineering Students, Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications by Vallado, Fundamentals of Astrodynamics by Mueller, Kaplan's Modern Spacecraft Dynamics and Control, and Orbital Mechanics by Prussing and Conway.

-For low-speed aerodynamics, we're using Anderson's Fundamentals of aerodynamics, and for compressible flows we're using Anderson's Modern Compressible Flow with Historical Perspective.

That should give you plenty to go on if you're keen on aerospace engineering. By the time you chew through those, I'll be able to give you perspectives on the upper division texts.

Thanks for the list. :smile: Anyone else feel like sharing one? I know there must be a few more engineers hiding around somewhere. :wink:

Anyone else? :)

I can understand your interest in self-studying engineering and potentially pursuing a master's degree in the field. It is always beneficial to have a well-rounded understanding of different disciplines, especially in the field of STEM.

To answer your question, there are many resources available online that can provide a list of recommended books for engineering majors. Some universities even have their own engineering book lists available on their websites. I would suggest starting with these resources to get an idea of the common books used in engineering curriculums. Additionally, many engineering textbooks have a clear progression of topics and are often used in a specific order in courses. This can also give you a guide on which books to read first and what prerequisites are necessary.

However, I would also like to mention that while books are a great resource for learning, they should not be your only source of education. As you mentioned, attending lectures, demonstrations, and labs can provide valuable hands-on experience and supplement your understanding of the material. If you do not have access to these resources, there are also online courses and tutorials available that can provide a similar learning experience.

In terms of specific "gaps" of knowledge, it really depends on the individual and the specific engineering field they are studying. Some may find that they need more practical experience, while others may need more theoretical understanding. It's important to constantly assess your own understanding and seek out additional resources or experiences as needed.

Overall, my advice would be to utilize a combination of resources such as books, online courses, and hands-on experiences to gain a well-rounded education in engineering. It's also important to constantly challenge yourself and seek out new learning opportunities. Best of luck in your self-study journey!

Related to Engineering Curriculum Book List

1. What is an engineering curriculum book list?

An engineering curriculum book list is a list of recommended books and resources that cover topics relevant to engineering education. These books are carefully selected by experts in the field and provide a comprehensive overview of the subject matter.

2. Why is it important to have a book list specifically for engineering curriculum?

Having a book list specifically for engineering curriculum ensures that students have access to quality resources that are relevant to their studies. These books can supplement course materials and provide students with a deeper understanding of the subject matter.

3. How are books chosen for an engineering curriculum book list?

Books for an engineering curriculum book list are chosen based on their relevance, accuracy, and quality of content. They are often written by experts in the field and are updated regularly to reflect the latest advancements in the field.

4. Can students use other books not on the engineering curriculum book list?

While the books on the engineering curriculum book list are highly recommended, students can still use other books for reference. However, it is important to check with their instructor to ensure that the content aligns with the course material.

5. Are there any online resources included in the engineering curriculum book list?

Yes, the engineering curriculum book list may include online resources such as e-books, articles, and videos. These resources are carefully selected to supplement the books and provide students with a variety of learning materials.