Engineer wants to self learn undergrad physics

In summary, the conversation is about someone with an engineering degree who wants to expand their knowledge in physics, specifically up to an undergraduate standard. They are looking for recommendations on books or video courses that cover all the topics in an undergrad physics course, with a focus on electrodynamics, relativity, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. Suggestions are given for popular textbooks and it is recommended to learn about Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics before starting quantum mechanics. The conversation also touches on general relativity and the fact that it is not typically covered in an undergrad physics curriculum.
THE 1
Okay, first of all I am hoping I have posted this in the correct place.

So the background is the following, I currently have an engineering degree but wish to actually expand my knowledge more in the physics side of things.I just would like to know a level of physics up to undergrad standard just because I am interested more than anything.

Now I am just asking the question of what I would have to study/look at in order to get myself to that kinda standard. Obviously I am okay with math, I know there are a few nuances with mathematical methods that differ and new techniques but I shouldn't have a problem with them. I will however have to relook over the math as I have not done it for a while but I expect it to come back.

So really I am looking for maybe some books or video courses that would take me through all the topics that you would learn in an undergrad physics course.

I own the Feynman lectures on physics books but I really need questions and solutions I can get through in order to check my understanding, you obviously cannot learn by just reading you need to apply what you find out. If you can suggest maybe one or two books that are fairly comprehensive and include some mathmatical methods that would help.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe take a look at the physics program where you did your engineering degree? That might give you an idea of what sort of sequence to follow and what sort of math courses the physics students take that you wouldn't have taken.

Then it would be a matter of getting math/physics textbooks, finding online lectures, and slowly working your way through the material. If you're just working on this stuff in your spare time, I suspect that learning all the physics that an undergrad in a physics program would learn and actually understanding it well is going to take quite some time.

Okay cool I will look into it, I don't know where I would find out about the physics course as it was a long time ago.

I was really hoping there would be a basic book with questions that has all the topics in I could work through.

I realize it will take time but I am interested I wanted to do a physics degree but I wouldn't be able to afford to do one now plus the knowledge is more important than a certificate

If you were to study electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, mechanics, thermodynamics and possibly optics, you'd pretty much have covered the undergraduate curriculum.

The most popular electrodynamics and quantum mechanics texts are by Griffiths, and I recommend them highly. Hecht is common for optics, and Kittel/Kroemer for thermodynamics, but they're just good at best. The situation is murkier for undergraduate mechanics.

Hope this helps.

I will look into those books thanks.

To be honest the topics I am interested in are electrodynamics, relativity, quantum mechanics and thermodynamics. Mechanics is something I have done a fair amount of.

If anyone can suggest some more or even some online courses that would be great.

Its a shame the feynman lectures don't have questions and solutions because I have them.

THE 1 said:
Mechanics is something I have done a fair amount of.

Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics?

TMFKAN64 said:
Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics?

Ah yea that would be a no on that front so they need to be in there.

You should really learn a little about these before you start quantum mechanics. It will make the mathematics much clearer.

As for relativity... there really isn't much to it. You don't touch general relativity at all as an undergraduate, and a decent chapter from any standard undergraduate textbook should be all you need.

I am actually looking at doing the same sort of thing, I am currently an undergrad student and would frankly rather learn the material on my own.

Any interest in summing forces? Our goals are essentially the same.

JonDrew said:
I am actually looking at doing the same sort of thing, I am currently an undergrad student and would frankly rather learn the material on my own.

Any interest in summing forces? Our goals are essentially the same.

Yea sure why not, we just have to find a good way of going about it.

TMFKAN64 said:
You should really learn a little about these before you start quantum mechanics. It will make the mathematics much clearer.

As for relativity... there really isn't much to it. You don't touch general relativity at all as an undergraduate, and a decent chapter from any standard undergraduate textbook should be all you need.

we did GR in undegrad

sam_021 said:
we did GR in undegrad

OK, you don't *usually* touch GR in undergrad. :smile: I've seen some courses that use Schutz's book, but it's not really a part of the standard undergraduate curriculum.

Related to Engineer wants to self learn undergrad physics

1. What is the benefit of an engineer self-learning undergraduate physics?

Self-learning undergraduate physics can enhance an engineer's problem-solving skills and provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the physical world. Additionally, it can broaden their knowledge base and improve their ability to innovate and adapt to new technologies.

2. Is it possible for an engineer to self-learn undergraduate physics without any prior knowledge?

While it may be challenging, it is definitely possible for an engineer to self-learn undergraduate physics without any prior knowledge. However, it may require dedication, discipline, and a strong foundation in math and critical thinking skills.

3. How can an engineer effectively self-learn undergraduate physics?

An engineer can effectively self-learn undergraduate physics by creating a study plan, utilizing online resources and textbooks, practicing problem-solving, and seeking help from experts or joining study groups. Consistency and determination are key to successful self-learning.

4. Are there any specific topics in physics that an engineer should focus on?

It would be beneficial for an engineer to focus on topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. These are fundamental principles that are applicable in various engineering fields and can provide a strong foundation for further learning.

5. What are the potential challenges an engineer may face while self-learning undergraduate physics?

Some potential challenges an engineer may face while self-learning undergraduate physics include understanding complex mathematical concepts, staying motivated and disciplined, and finding reliable resources. It may also be challenging to apply theoretical knowledge to practical engineering problems without hands-on experience.