Engine wont start unless I heat up the engine first

In summary, the car owner took their 2003 Pontiac Grand Am to the shop for a problem with starting during cooler weather. They have been using a hair dryer to warm up the engine before starting, but are looking for a more permanent solution. Someone suggests using an engine block heater, but the car owner believes it may be a fuel issue and plans to check the fuel pump and filter.
Moonbaby39
TL;DR Summary
I'm having a problem with my car, it wouldn't start one morning so I just figured maybe the spark plugs had gotten damp overnight, so I got my hair dryer and pointed it at the back of the engine toward the back set of plugs, after bout 30 minutes of this my car started right up,
I took my car to the shop and they had it for 3 straight weeks even changed the spark plugs but they never could figure out what was wrong with it. Now that it's getting cooler weather it's taking bout 2 hours of having the hair dryer blowing on the back of the engine for it yo start up, does anyone possibly know what the problem could be, thank you..

Engineering news on Phys.org
First question - Does it at least turn over?
Second question - What year of car? Does it have electronic ignition?
Third question - Does some of the hot air blow on some of the other electrics under the hood?

Likes Moonbaby39
Yes it turns over great, it's a 2003 pontiac grand am, 6cylinder, yes the hot air blows over the whole back of the engine, I set the hair dryer where it's leaning on the edge of the coil packs to hold it in place that way I can go sit down while it's heating up

256bits said:
First question - Does it at least turn over?
Second question - What year of car? Does it have electronic ignition?
Third question - Does some of the hot air blow on some of the other electrics under the hood?
Thank you for replying

I know that J.C. Whitney sells engine block heaters that you plug into a normal wall outlet.

diogenesNY

Likes Moonbaby39
diogenesNY said:
I know that J.C. Whitney sells engine block heaters that you plug into a normal wall outlet.

diogenesNY
I was reading about one of those in the book that came with my car, I looked and mine didn't come with one, but in the book it says it's for really cold weather but my car started doing this back in June when it was just getting hot outside , in July and August when it would get in the 90's the car would actually crank up by itself without the hair dryer but if it didn't hit above 90 I had to use the dryer

I suspect you'll get better answers on http://cartalk.com.

Likes Moonbaby39
anorlunda said:
I suspect you'll get better answers on http://cartalk.com.
Ok thank you , I'll check that out

i suspect fuel issue. Why? When it's cold it takes longer for gasoline to turn into vapor, and the easiest way to make more vapor is to have more gasoline. So by running the engine rich you have more gasoline to turn into vapor, and then you'll have enough vapor to ignite and start the engine, once you have warmed up the engine, the engine will supply enough heat to covert the liquid gasoline into a vapor.
So if you have fuel supply problem to begin with, you can crank the engine all day and you will not be able to fire the engine up. No vapor at cold temperature. The hair dryer heats up the aluminum manifold enough to get the limited fuel supply available to vaporized enough to fire.

The good news is that the 16 year old fuel pump is still operating so you may not need to drop thegas tank to change it. The fix may be as cheap as a $ 5.00 fuel check valve - see video -

Last edited:
Likes Moonbaby39 and diogenesNY
Ranger Mike said:
i suspect fuel issue. Why? When it's cold it takes longer for gasoline to turn into vapor, and the easiest way to make more vapor is to have more gasoline. So by running the engine rich you have more gasoline to turn into vapor, and then you'll have enough vapor to ignite and start the engine, once you have warmed up the engine, the engine will supply enough heat to covert the liquid gasoline into a vapor.
So if you have fuel supply problem to begin with, you can crank the engine all day and you will not be able to fire the engine up. No vapor at cold temperature. The hair dryer heats up the aluminum manifold enough to get the limited fuel supply available to vaporized enough to fire.

The good news is that the 16 year old fuel pump is still operating so you may not need to drop thegas tank to change it. The fix may be as cheap as a $ 5.00 fuel check valve - see video -

I will have this idea checked out for sure, I replaced the fuel pump 3 years ago when the original one up and died on me, but this one could be dying now, thank you for replying to me

Based upon the above, you might also check your fuel filter as well.

Related to Engine wont start unless I heat up the engine first

1. Why does my engine only start after heating it up?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the fuel in your engine is not vaporizing properly, which can be caused by a faulty fuel pump or clogged fuel injectors. Another possibility is that your spark plugs are worn out or not functioning correctly, making it difficult for the engine to ignite. It could also be an issue with the engine's compression or timing. It's best to have a mechanic diagnose the specific cause of the problem.

2. How do I heat up my engine before starting it?

To heat up your engine, you can try turning the key to the "on" position (without actually starting the engine) for a few seconds before turning it all the way to start. This will allow the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel system and help with vaporization. You can also try using a block heater or parking your car in a warm location, such as a garage, to help warm up the engine.

3. Can I continue driving my car if I have to heat up the engine first?

While it may be possible to continue driving your car, it is not recommended. Starting your engine when it is not properly warmed up can cause damage to the engine over time. It's best to have the underlying issue fixed before continuing to drive your car.

4. Is it safe to use starting fluid to help start my engine?

No, it is not safe to use starting fluid to start your engine. Starting fluid is highly flammable and can cause damage to your engine if used incorrectly. It's best to have a mechanic diagnose and fix the underlying issue rather than relying on starting fluid.

5. How much will it cost to fix my engine if it won't start unless it's heated up first?

The cost of fixing this issue will vary depending on the specific cause of the problem. It could be a simple fix, such as replacing spark plugs or cleaning fuel injectors, or it could be a more complex issue with the engine's compression or timing. It's best to have a mechanic diagnose the problem and provide an estimate for the cost of repairs.