Engine for small generator 3-30V

In summary, a small electric motor can be easily obtained from old toys and can be used to power a small LED or compact fluorescent light bulb using a low voltage. The way to calculate the torque is to equate the electrical output to the mechanical input and add 10%.
bigwater
Hello, I am a new user here but have found links to this site in many of my Google quests so I thought this may be the place to start a more focused search for information.

I am doing a project with my son, we have created some spinning discs using magnets as a power source. I am interested in attaching a small electric engine (or coil) to produce electricity that could power a small LED or compact fluorescent light bulb.
I am assuming it would be better to buy a small engine and reverse it than to build the coil because it would probably be better produced and more efficient. But I am not completely understanding how much torque and rpm's are needed to generate electricity from said motors and what tools should be used to measure the performance of the set-up. I was considering buying the Greenlee DM-300 multimeter because of its low voltage accuracy and maybe trying this method of measuring rpm's <http://www.fastcharged.org/electronics/handyrpm> unless there is an easier cost effective way.
Also are their numbers I should look at to find out what rpm and torque is needed to spin the coil? Can anybody recommend a good engine for this?

Thanks much in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A small electric motor that is easiest to get hold of would be one that you salvage from a toy, such as a cheap slot car or battery-operated toy train. You can feel the torque needed to turn them by turning the shaft between two fingers. You should be able to detect a generated voltage if it is spun at even a low speed of a few revs/sec.

BTW, if it runs off electricity it is a "motor", if it burns gasoline it's an "engine".

The cooling fan inside the case of desktop PCs is very easy to spin, and is powered by a low voltage. I've never examined them closely so don't know whether they can be used as a generator. You could salvage one from a dumped PC and try blowing through the fan to see if it will generate DC.

The way to actually calculate the torque is to equate the electrical output to the mechanical input and add 10% or so. power = torque * rpm.

English units:

horsepower = 2PI X torque X rpm / 33,000 ; torque in ft-lbs.

should be easy swap to SI units.

Related to Engine for small generator 3-30V

1. What is the purpose of an engine for a small generator?

An engine for a small generator is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. This allows the generator to produce electricity for various uses, such as powering small appliances or providing backup power during outages.

2. What is the voltage range for a small generator engine?

The voltage range for a small generator engine is typically between 3-30V. This range allows for versatility in powering different devices and appliances, while still remaining compact and portable.

3. What types of fuel can be used for a small generator engine?

Small generator engines can typically run on a variety of fuels, including gasoline, diesel, propane, and natural gas. The type of fuel used will depend on the specific design and fuel compatibility of the engine.

4. How much power can a small generator engine produce?

The power output of a small generator engine can vary depending on the specific model and design. Generally, a small generator engine can produce anywhere from 500 watts to 10,000 watts of power, depending on the voltage and fuel source.

5. Is regular maintenance required for a small generator engine?

Like any other engine, regular maintenance is necessary to keep a small generator engine running smoothly and efficiently. This can include changing the oil, replacing spark plugs, and cleaning or replacing air filters. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule for optimal performance.