Engery Conservation in Oscillatory Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a 0.980kg block sliding on a frictionless surface and encountering an unstretched spring with a force constant of 245N/m. The equations of conservation of energy and simple harmonic motion are used to calculate the distance the spring is compressed before the block comes to rest and the time the block is in contact with the spring before stopping. The answer for the time is found to be 1/4 of a complete oscillation, which is explained by drawing out a sine function.
Julio Cesar
A 0.980kg block slides on a frictionless, horizontal surface with a speed of 1.32m/s. The block encounters an unstretched spring with a force constant of 245N/m.

(a)How far is the spring compressed before the block comes to rest?

(b) How long is the block in contact with the spring before it comes to rest?

Equations: Conservation of energy using a spring.

Ei=Ef

1/2mvo2 = 1/2kA2

A= vo√m/k

Question (b): T = 2∏√m/k

3. Attempt at solution shows:

A= 0.0835m

T= 0.397s

As far as the calculations, I know the amplitude as well as the period of one complete occilation. However, when the question asks me how long is the block in contact with the spring before it comes to rest...

Well, my senses tell me that it would be half a period since the spring is compressed when the block comes in contact with it and stops. (v= 0m/s)

The answer it gives me is 0.0993s...?!

Where does this come from; that's not half a period that's a quarter of a period. The answer may be staring at be straight in the face but I just don't get it. Can someone explain why the answer is 1/4 the period instead of 1/2 the period?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! I feel like an idiot now. I've just spent the last hour just looking at the diagram, wondering why and didn't even think to draw out a sine function, lol!

Thanks so much, this helps out a ton!

A drawing always helps.

ehild

I can provide an explanation for why the block is in contact with the spring for only a quarter of a period instead of half a period. This has to do with the nature of oscillatory motion and the concept of "equilibrium".

When the block first comes in contact with the spring, it has a certain velocity (1.32m/s) and is moving towards the equilibrium point (where the spring is unstretched). As it compresses the spring, the spring exerts a force on the block in the opposite direction, causing the block to decelerate and eventually come to rest.

At this point, the block has reached the equilibrium point, where the spring is fully compressed and the block is not moving. This is the moment when the block has transferred all of its kinetic energy to the spring, and the spring has reached its maximum potential energy.

In order for the block to start moving in the opposite direction (towards the equilibrium point again), the spring needs to start releasing its potential energy and exerting a force on the block in the opposite direction. This is what causes the block to start moving again.

Now, if we consider the period of oscillation, it is the time it takes for the block to go from one equilibrium point to the other and back again. This means that the block is in contact with the spring for only half of the period, because the other half of the period is spent in motion away from the spring.

Therefore, the block is in contact with the spring for only a quarter of the period before it comes to rest, because it reaches its maximum potential energy at the equilibrium point and then starts moving away from the spring.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify why the block is in contact with the spring for only a quarter of the period instead of half. It is important to remember that in oscillatory motion, the concept of equilibrium plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of the system.

Related to Engery Conservation in Oscillatory Motion

1. What is oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is a type of motion where an object moves back and forth repeatedly around a fixed point, known as the equilibrium position. Examples of oscillatory motion include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, and a simple harmonic oscillator.

2. How does energy conservation apply to oscillatory motion?

Energy conservation states that the total energy of a system remains constant, meaning it is conserved, as long as there is no external force acting on the system. In oscillatory motion, energy is constantly exchanging between potential energy and kinetic energy, but the total energy of the system remains constant.

3. What is the relationship between amplitude and energy in oscillatory motion?

The amplitude of oscillatory motion is directly proportional to the energy of the system. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation for the total energy in oscillatory motion: E = 1/2kA^2, where k is the spring constant and A is the amplitude.

4. How does damping affect energy conservation in oscillatory motion?

Damping is the process of energy dissipation in a system, usually due to the presence of friction or resistance. In oscillatory motion, damping causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time, resulting in a decrease in energy. However, energy is still conserved in the system, as the lost energy is converted into heat or other forms of energy.

5. Can energy be added or removed from an oscillating system?

Yes, energy can be added or removed from an oscillating system through external forces. For example, if a force is applied to a pendulum, energy will be added to the system, causing the amplitude of the oscillations to increase. Similarly, if a force is applied in the opposite direction of the motion, energy will be removed from the system, causing the amplitude to decrease.