Energy systems engineering + business

In summary, the conversation focused on the speaker's interest in developing a business in the field of biofuels and wind farming. They were wondering about the prospects and ideas for such a business, to which @Ivan Seeking, who has experience in the biofuel industry, was tagged for input. The speaker also mentioned their internship experience in designing a small organic rankine cycle system to generate electricity and gas from waste plant mass. The system was intended for remote areas and could be used for various purposes such as cooking, process heating, and additional electricity generation.
Isaac1720
so I ill be going into my first year of energy systems engineering but I would really love to develop my own business surrounding things like biofuels and wind farming , i was just wondering what prospects are their to develop a business or if there are any sort of ideas around that field.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks a lot !

I did an internship at a company that was developing gasifiers, they generated biogas from woodchips. My project was to design a small (50kW elec. out) organic rankine cycle system to harvest waste heat from the gasification process.
The idea was the plant would be installed in remote area (eg sugar cane crops on south pacific islands) and use waste plant mass to produce electricity and gas for cooking, process heating (eg in the sugar cane mill evaporators), space heating, additional electricity generation etc.

Related to Energy systems engineering + business

What is energy systems engineering?

Energy systems engineering is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles of engineering, mathematics, and physics to design, analyze, and optimize energy systems, which include power generation, distribution, and utilization.

What is the role of business in energy systems engineering?

The role of business in energy systems engineering is to identify and implement sustainable and cost-effective solutions for meeting energy demands. This includes evaluating different technologies, assessing financial feasibility, and managing projects to ensure successful implementation.

What are the key challenges in energy systems engineering and business?

Some key challenges in energy systems engineering and business include increasing energy demand, limited resources, environmental concerns, and technological advancements. Finding solutions that balance these factors and meet the needs of society is a major challenge.

What are some examples of energy systems engineering and business in action?

Examples of energy systems engineering and business in action include the development of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power, the implementation of energy efficiency measures in buildings and industries, and the optimization of power grids through smart grid technology.

What skills are needed to work in energy systems engineering and business?

Professionals in this field need a strong background in engineering, mathematics, and physics, as well as knowledge of business and finance. They should also have excellent problem-solving, communication, and project management skills to effectively address the complex challenges in this field.