Energy operator in curved space-time

In summary: After a bit of reading I have come up with the following: If the operators on scalars are going to be the same regardless of the metric, then the wave functions must not be the same between the cases of curved vs flat space-time. The wave functions would have to satisfy-\hbar^2 g^{\alpha\beta}\nabla_{\alpha}\nabla_{\beta}\psi+m_0c^2\psi=0whereas for flat space-time it would need to satisfy-\hbar^2 \eta^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}\psi
jfy4
Hi,

I was wondering what the expression would be for the energy operator in general relativistic quantum mechanics. So I attempted it for strictly diagonal metrics. Here it is:

Assume a stationary observer. Then the expression for a particle is

[tex]E=-g_{\alpha\beta}p^\alpha u_{obs}^{\beta}.[/tex]

However, the observer is stationary, and must obey the time-like condition of 4-velocity, hence

[tex]g_{\alpha\beta}u_{obs}^{\alpha}u_{obs}^{\beta}=g_{tt}\left(u_{obs}^{t}\right)^2=-1.[/tex]

Then

[tex]u_{obs}=\sqrt{-g^{tt}}[/tex]

which implies

[tex]E=-g_{\alpha\beta}p^\alpha u_{obs}^{\beta}\rightarrow \sqrt{-g_{tt}}p^t.[/tex]

Then substituting the expression for the energy operator in Minkowski space-time

[tex]\boxed{\hat{E}=i\hbar \sqrt{-g_{tt}}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}.}[/tex]

This is the final form for the energy operator in an arbitrary diagonal metric. Would anyone have an idea of how to construct the momentum operator for a general metric (it can be diagonal too, anything will make me happy). Corrections and comments entirely welcomed!

Physics news on Phys.org
By energy operator, do you mean the Hamiltonian?

Matterwave said:
By energy operator, do you mean the Hamiltonian?
He obviously doesn't. Instead, his energy operator is a kind of a general-relativistic variant of the energy operator (4) in
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0811.1905 [Int. J. Quantum Inf. 7 (2009) 595-602]

jfy4 said:
Would anyone have an idea of how to construct the momentum operator for a general metric (it can be diagonal too, anything will make me happy). Corrections and comments entirely welcomed!
Your energy operator transforms as a scalar, not as a time-component of a vector. How would you expect the appropriate momentum operator to transform? As a 4-vector? As a 3-vector?

I think a better strategy is to construct a 4-vector energy-momentum operator that contains both energy and 3-momentum in one vector quantity. This is indeed very easy to construct, because it is given by Eq. (2) in
In curved spacetime the ordinary derivative should be replaced by the covariant one, but they coincide as long as they act on a wave function which transforms as a scalar (which is the case for spin 0).

Another benefit of Eq. (2) is the fact that it is observer-independent, in the sense that you don't need the vector u_obs.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
Your energy operator transforms as a scalar, not as a time-component of a vector. How would you expect the appropriate momentum operator to transform? As a 4-vector? As a 3-vector?
Good point...
I think a better strategy is to construct a 4-vector energy-momentum operator that contains both energy and 3-momentum in one vector quantity. This is indeed very easy to construct, because it is given by Eq. (2) in
Clearly the generalization to flat-space relativistic quantum mechanics is (2). I had no problem with that from the very start, in fact I used the [itex]p^0[/itex] component to finish my derivation. I was hoping to construct the [itex]p^0[/itex] component of that 4-vector for an arbitrary Einstein metric.
In curved spacetime the ordinary derivative should be replaced by the covariant one, but they coincide as long as they act on a wave function which transforms as a scalar (which is the case for spin 0).
You are suggesting the energy-momentum operator should be expressed as

[tex]\hat{p}_{\alpha}\psi=\nabla_{\alpha}\psi[/tex]

which as you also pointed out turns into

[tex]\hat{p}_{\alpha}\psi=\partial_{\alpha}\psi[/tex]

if [itex]\psi[/itex] is a scalar. Let me pose a question back, if I may. Since we know that the shape of space (like the Schwarzschild geometry) affects the energy of a particle (the photon), would you say then that the operators can be the same, but instead it is the expectation value which varies with the geometry of space-time? Then it is the wave function that changes with the geometry of space-time, not the operators?
Another benefit of Eq. (2) is the fact that it is observer-independent, in the sense that you don't need the vector u_obs.

This would be a fine trait to have. :approve:

Last edited:
Ok,

after a bit of reading I have come up with the following: As I said in my earlier post, if the operators on scalars are going to be the same regardless of the metric, then the wave functions must not be the same between the cases of curved vs flat space-time. The wave functions would have to satisfy

[tex]-\hbar^2 g^{\alpha\beta}\nabla_{\alpha}\nabla_{\beta}\psi+m_0c^2\psi=0[/tex]

whereas for flat space-time it would need to satisfy

[tex]-\hbar^2 \eta^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}\psi+m_0c^2\psi=0.[/tex]

Point being that in the first equation that the covariant derivatives may not strictly reduce down to partials because of the sum between the covariant derivatives. Is this right?

jfy4 said:
Ok,

after a bit of reading I have come up with the following: As I said in my earlier post, if the operators on scalars are going to be the same regardless of the metric, then the wave functions must not be the same between the cases of curved vs flat space-time. The wave functions would have to satisfy

[tex]-\hbar^2 g^{\alpha\beta}\nabla_{\alpha}\nabla_{\beta}\psi+m_0c^2\psi=0[/tex]

whereas for flat space-time it would need to satisfy

[tex]-\hbar^2 \eta^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}\psi+m_0c^2\psi=0.[/tex]

Point being that in the first equation that the covariant derivatives may not strictly reduce down to partials because of the sum between the covariant derivatives. Is this right?
Yes.

jfy4 said:
Let me pose a question back, if I may. Since we know that the shape of space (like the Schwarzschild geometry) affects the energy of a particle (the photon), would you say then that the operators can be the same, but instead it is the expectation value which varies with the geometry of space-time? Then it is the wave function that changes with the geometry of space-time, not the operators?
Yes.

Related to Energy operator in curved space-time

What is an energy operator in curved space-time?

An energy operator in curved space-time is a mathematical tool used in the field of quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a curved space-time. It takes into account the effects of gravity and other forces on the particles, allowing for more accurate calculations and predictions.

How does an energy operator in curved space-time differ from a flat space-time?

In a flat space-time, the energy operator is simply the Hamiltonian operator, which describes the total energy of a particle. In a curved space-time, however, the energy operator becomes more complex and includes additional terms that account for the curvature of space-time.

What is the significance of studying the energy operator in curved space-time?

Studying the energy operator in curved space-time is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in extreme environments, such as near black holes or during the early stages of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories that unify quantum mechanics and general relativity.

How is the energy operator in curved space-time used in practical applications?

The energy operator in curved space-time is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the development of quantum computers and in the study of gravitational waves. It also has implications for understanding the behavior of matter in high-energy particle accelerators.

Are there any limitations or challenges in using the energy operator in curved space-time?

One of the main challenges in using the energy operator in curved space-time is that it is a highly complex mathematical tool and can be difficult to apply in certain situations. Additionally, it is currently not fully compatible with theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity, so further research is needed to fully understand its limitations and potential applications.