Energy of electromagnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the energy contribution of the magnetic field term in an electromagnetic field. The approach involves simplifying the integral using vector calculus identities and the d'Alembertian relation. The conversation ends with a question about how to show that the first term in the simplified expression vanishes.
VVS
Hey everyone!

I am supposed to calculate the energy contribution of the magnetic field term of an electromagnetic field.

Basically the term is the following:

[itex]\int_\Omega dx^3 (curl(\vec{A}))^2[/itex]

And we can use the following two equations for simplifying:

[itex]div(A)=0[/itex]

and

[itex]\Box A=0[/itex]

So basically what I did was express the curl in terms of the levi civita tensor.
Then you can simplify the volume integral to:

[itex]\int_\Omega dx^3 \sum_{m,l}\frac{\partial A_m}{\partial x_l} (\frac{\partial A_m}{\partial x_l}-\frac{\partial A_l}{\partial x_m})[/itex]

Then I can use a trick and take out the first partial derivative with respect to [itex]x_l[/itex]:

[itex]\int_\Omega dx^3 \sum_{m,l}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_l} \left(A_m(\frac{\partial A_m}{\partial x_l}-\frac{\partial A_l}{\partial x_m})\right)-\left(A_m(\frac{\partial^2 A_m}{\partial x_l^2}-\frac{\partial^2 A_l}{\partial^2 x_mx_l})\right)[/itex]

The term [itex]\frac{\partial^2 A_l}{\partial^2 x_mx_l}[/itex] vanishes since it contains the divergence of [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and the term [itex]A_m\frac{\partial^2 A_m}{\partial x_l^2}[/itex]is exactly the result we want: [itex]\frac{1}{c^2}\vec{A}\cdot \ddot{\vec{A}}[/itex] because of the d'Alembertian relation.
So what is left to be shown is that the first term [itex]\int_\Omega dx^3 \sum_{m,l}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_l} \left(A_m(\frac{\partial A_m}{\partial x_l}-\frac{\partial A_l}{\partial x_m})\right)[/itex] vanishes, which I have no clue how to show. Hope someone can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your approach for calculating the energy contribution of the magnetic field term in an electromagnetic field. It seems like you have made some progress in simplifying the integral, but you are stuck on how to show that the first term in your expression vanishes.

One possible approach to show this is to use the fact that the divergence of the curl of a vector field is always zero, i.e. div(curl(\vec{A}))=0. This can be proven using vector calculus identities and the fact that the divergence operator is a scalar operator. Since we are assuming that div(\vec{A})=0, this means that the term inside the integral, \sum_{m,l}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_l} \left(A_m(\frac{\partial A_m}{\partial x_l}-\frac{\partial A_l}{\partial x_m})\right), is equivalent to div(curl(\vec{A})). Therefore, it also evaluates to zero and the first term in your expression vanishes.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Energy of electromagnetic field

1. What is energy of an electromagnetic field?

The energy of an electromagnetic field is the amount of energy associated with the electric and magnetic components of the field. It is a form of energy that exists in the space surrounding charged particles and is transmitted through the interaction of electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is the energy of an electromagnetic field measured?

The energy of an electromagnetic field can be measured in different ways, depending on the specific application. In general, it can be measured by calculating the electric and magnetic fields at a given point and then using mathematical equations to determine the energy density at that point.

3. What are some examples of electromagnetic field energy?

There are many examples of electromagnetic field energy in our daily lives. Some common examples include sunlight, radio waves, X-rays, and microwaves. Other examples include the energy used in electronic devices such as cell phones, computers, and televisions.

4. How is energy transferred in an electromagnetic field?

Energy is transferred in an electromagnetic field through electromagnetic waves. These waves are created when an electric field and a magnetic field interact with each other. The energy is then carried by these waves and can be transferred through space, such as in the case of radio waves.

5. Why is the study of electromagnetic field energy important?

The study of electromagnetic field energy is important for many reasons. It helps us understand the nature of light and other electromagnetic waves, which are essential for many modern technologies. It also has applications in fields such as medicine and communication. Additionally, understanding electromagnetic field energy can help us better understand the behavior of matter and the universe as a whole.