Energy of e.m waves in a cavity

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy density of electromagnetic modes in a cavity and the use of the mean number of quanta per mode times energy per quanta. There is confusion about using <n(ω)> h-bar ω instead of ε = { <n(ω)> + 1) h-bar ω and a clarification is requested. The response provides a calculation for the approximate total number of photons and the density of states for bosons, ultimately leading to the calculation of the mean energy.
Soph_the_Oaf
Hi there people

I'm going through some old notes and have become a bit confused... I'm looking at the energy density of e.m modes in a cavity

I have that

(energy in the range ω to ω+dω) = (mean number of quanta per mode) x (energy per quanta) x (number of e.m modes in the range ω to ω+dω)

which is

U(ω)dω = <n(ω)> h-bar ω G(ω)dω

Why do we use <n(ω)> h-bar ω and not ε = { <n(ω)> + 1) h-bar ω

because ε is the actual energy per mode and we are looking at the total energy in a given range??

I guess maybe I'm getting confused with a definition somewhere along the way... any insight would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Soph

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still not sure I see your reasoning for wanting to change the form, can you clarify your question.

I'll spit something out that has to do with energy density for the photon gas in hopes that it helps you out/ is right.

The approximate total number of photons is given by
[tex]
\langle N \rangle =\sum_{\omega} \langle n_\omega \rangle
[/tex]
with [itex]\langle n \rangle [/itex] as the approximate number of photons in a given frequency mode. Now if we take a continuum limit for the frequencies we write
[tex]
\langle N \rangle =\int_{0}^{\infty} g(\omega) \langle n \rangle d\omega
[/tex]
Now for bosons,
[tex]
\langle n \rangle =(\exp(\hbar \omega /kT)-1)^{-1}
[/tex]
For the density of states [itex]g(\omega)[/itex]
[tex]
g(\omega)d\omega=\frac{d^{3}p\, d^{3}x}{\hbar^3}=\frac{V}{\hbar^3}d^3 p
[/tex]
Now expressing the momentum in terms of frequency we have
[tex]
p=\frac{\hbar \omega}{c}\implies dp=\frac{\hbar}{c} d\omega
[/tex]
Now
[tex]
d^3 p=4\pi p^2 dp=4\pi \left(\frac{\hbar}{c}\right)^3 \omega^2 d\omega \implies g(\omega)d\omega=4\pi \frac{V}{\hbar^3}\left(\frac{\hbar}{c}\right)^3 \omega^2 d\omega
[/tex]
Now we have to remember to throw in the number 2 cause our math won't do the counting for us, there are two transverse modes to account for.
[tex]
g(\omega)d\omega=\frac{8 \pi V}{c^3}\omega^2 d\omega
[/tex]
then
[tex]
\langle N \rangle=\frac{8 \pi V}{c^3}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega^2 d\omega}{e^{\frac{\hbar\omega}{kT}}-1}
[/tex]
to get [itex]\langle E \rangle[/itex] we just need to calculate
[tex]
\langle E \rangle =\sum_{\omega}\langle n_\omega \rangle \epsilon_\omega
[/tex]
with [itex]\epsilon=\hbar \omega [/itex].

Hope this helps.

Related to Energy of e.m waves in a cavity

1. What is the definition of "energy of e.m waves in a cavity"?

The energy of e.m waves in a cavity refers to the total amount of energy contained within an enclosed space, such as a cavity, that is filled with electromagnetic waves. This energy is a combination of the electric and magnetic fields created by the waves.

2. How is the energy of e.m waves in a cavity calculated?

The energy of e.m waves in a cavity can be calculated using the formula: E = (1/2)ε0∫E2 + B2dV, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, E is the electric field, B is the magnetic field, and dV is the volume of the cavity.

3. What factors affect the energy of e.m waves in a cavity?

The energy of e.m waves in a cavity is affected by several factors such as the size and shape of the cavity, the frequency of the waves, the material properties of the cavity walls, and the presence of any conductive materials or objects within the cavity.

4. How does the energy of e.m waves in a cavity relate to resonance?

The energy of e.m waves in a cavity is directly related to the phenomenon of resonance. When the natural frequency of the waves matches the resonant frequency of the cavity, the energy of the waves increases dramatically as they reflect back and forth between the walls of the cavity, leading to a buildup of energy.

5. What are some practical applications of the energy of e.m waves in a cavity?

The energy of e.m waves in a cavity has many practical applications, including in microwave ovens, cavity filters in electronic devices, and in the design of lasers. It is also an important concept in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and its interactions with different materials and structures.