Energy of Dark Matter: Exploring WIMP Particles and Beyond

In summary, Dark Matter and Dark Energy are two different things. While there is a lot of discussion about Dark Energy and its potential sources, there is not much talk about the energy of Dark Matter. The general consensus is that Dark Matter's energy is taken to be E=mc^2 and any kinetic energy is usually ignored. It is believed to be "cold" and have a much greater rest energy than kinetic energy. There is no specific term for the energy of Dark Matter, and it is not the same as Vacuum Energy, which is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.
PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I know that Dark Matter and Dark Energy are 2 different animals. My question is not related to the difference between the 2. My question is, if dark matter exists, and since matter has energy, then dark matter must have energy associated with it. So while I hear a lot about Dark Energy and Dark Matter, I hear nothing about the 'Energy of Dark Matter'. Except from the Brane Theorist's possible explanation that dark matter is gravitational energy from other Universes. But if Dark Matter consists of WIMP particles, what's the energy of such a postulated particle? Would it be the same as the energy of an 'ordinary' particle, like kinetic energy, or E =mc^2 energy?

Space news on Phys.org
Yes, people generally take the energy of dark matter to be E=mc^2. Any sort of kinetic component is generally ignored, because these days most people believe that dark matter is "cold", in the sense that its rest energy is much greater than its kinetic energy, and has been for most of the lifetime of the universe.

Thank you! Now since dark matter energy cannot be called dark energy, since the 'dark energy' definition has already been established, is there a name for it besides "Dark Matter Energy"? Also, are 'Dark Energy' and 'Vacuum Energy' the same (synonyms)?

It's not really something people talk about a lot, so I don't think there's a term that is generally used for it. "Dark matter energy", or the "energy of dark matter", seem fine to me.

Dark energy is the thing that's responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe. Vacuum energy is the energy of the vacuum (obviously). It is thought that vacuum energy could be what is causing the accelerated expansion, though there are other candidates, such as a scalar field, or some kind of geometrical effect. So I wouldn't say that they are synonyms.

nicksauce said:
Yes, people generally take the energy of dark matter to be E=mc^2. Any sort of kinetic component is generally ignored, because these days most people believe that dark matter is "cold", in the sense that its rest energy is much greater than its kinetic energy, and has been for most of the lifetime of the universe.
Well, it's not just that people believe it, but observationally this is necessarily the case. Now, it may potentially have had some noticeable temperature in the early universe, these investigations are still underway, but it was most definitely not relativistic at the emission of the CMB, and thus its temperature didn't make for a significant contribution to the energy density.

Related to Energy of Dark Matter: Exploring WIMP Particles and Beyond

What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and cannot be seen using traditional telescopes. It makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and is thought to play a crucial role in holding galaxies together.

What is WIMP particle?

WIMP stands for Weakly Interacting Massive Particle. It is a type of hypothetical particle that is believed to make up dark matter. WIMP particles are thought to interact with regular matter only through the weak nuclear force, making them very difficult to detect.

How is dark matter energy measured?

Dark matter energy is measured indirectly through its effects on visible matter. Scientists use a variety of methods, such as gravitational lensing and galaxy rotation curves, to estimate the amount of dark matter in a particular region.

What is the significance of exploring WIMP particles?

Exploring WIMP particles is important because they are one of the leading candidates for explaining the nature of dark matter. By studying these particles and their interactions, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of the universe and its origins.

What are some possible alternative explanations for dark matter?

Some alternative explanations for dark matter include massive astrophysical compact halo objects (MACHOs), primordial black holes, and modified theories of gravity. However, these theories have not been able to fully explain the observed effects of dark matter and are still being studied and debated by scientists.