Energy of a pendulum (variable length, Lyapunov)

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy of a variable length pendulum and the use of a Lyapunov function to study its stability. The kinetic and potential energies are determined and the usual approach of setting the Lyapunov function as the energy is mentioned. However, with the time varying nature of the energy, a positive definite constraint must be satisfied. The conversation also touches on the existence of equilibrium points and the relevance of given bounds for r(t) in a homework problem.
Mugged
Hello, question about the energy of a variable length pendulum.

Suppose you have a pendulum in the standard sense where θ is the angle, and we let the length r be a function of time r = r(t). What is the energy of the pendulum?

So far, I have determined that kinetic energy is = (1/2)m(r*dθ/dt)^2 + (1/2)m*(dr/dt)^2
and the potential energy is = mgr(1-cosθ).

In my homework problem i need to come up with a suitable Lyapunov function to study the stability of the pendulum and the typical approach approach is to set the lyapunoc function V = E (energy).

But the problem is that this is a time varying lyapunov function, i.e. V = V(θ,t). And i have to satisfy a positive definite constraint on V that is V(0,t) = 0 for all t. the problem is that dr/dt term.

Is there another lyapunov function i can choose here? or am i misrepresenting the energy?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello robbed,

I don't see an answer here, but I do have a question: what can be a possible equilibrium point if you don't know anything about r(t) ?

So I already solved this question myself. Turns out that I did have the proper Lyapunov function.

Also BvU, in this homework problem there were some bounds given for r(t), and its derivatives which I omitted because it was irrelevant to my question. To answer your question though, there aren't any equilibrium points unless r(t) is constant. homework problem was about stability anyways,

Very good ! Thanks for the extra info.

for your question. It is clear that you have put a lot of thought into understanding the energy of a variable length pendulum. Your approach is correct in considering both the kinetic and potential energy terms. However, in order to use the Lyapunov function to study the stability of the pendulum, it is important to choose a function that is time-invariant, i.e. does not change with time.

One potential solution could be to consider the total energy of the pendulum, which is the sum of kinetic and potential energy. This would give you a time-invariant Lyapunov function, as the total energy remains constant throughout the motion of the pendulum.

Alternatively, you could also consider a Lyapunov function that is a combination of the kinetic and potential energy terms, but with a time-varying coefficient that accounts for the change in length of the pendulum. This would also give you a time-invariant function, as the coefficient would cancel out the time-varying term.

Ultimately, the choice of the Lyapunov function will depend on the specific problem and the stability analysis you are trying to perform. It may be helpful to consult with your instructor or a colleague to determine the most appropriate approach for your particular case.

I hope this helps and wish you success in your studies. Keep up the great work!

Related to Energy of a pendulum (variable length, Lyapunov)

1. What is the energy of a pendulum?

The energy of a pendulum is the sum of its kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, and its potential energy, which is the energy stored in its position relative to the Earth's gravitational field.

2. How is the energy of a pendulum affected by its length?

The energy of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square of its length. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, its energy also increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the Lyapunov function in relation to the energy of a pendulum?

The Lyapunov function is a mathematical concept used to measure the stability of a system, such as a pendulum. It is related to the energy of a pendulum in that it helps determine whether the pendulum will continue to swing or eventually come to rest.

4. How does the energy of a pendulum change over time?

The energy of a pendulum remains constant over time as long as there is no external force acting on it. However, as the pendulum swings back and forth, the energy is constantly changing between kinetic and potential energy.

5. How can the energy of a pendulum be calculated?

The energy of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2mv^2 + mgh, where m is the mass of the pendulum, v is its velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is its height above the ground. This formula takes into account both the kinetic and potential energy of the pendulum.