Lyapunov exponents of a damped, driven harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the Lyapunov exponent of a damped, driven harmonic oscillator and solving for the general solution of the system. The solution involves finding the values of r1, r2, and δ, and using these to solve for δx(t). The conversation also mentions the relationship between β and ω and how it affects the values of r1 and r2. Finally, the conversation suggests approximating λ as -ω0 when β2-ω02 is small.
Ananthan9470
Homework Statement
I am supposed to calculate Lyapunov exponent of a damped, driven harmonic oscillator given by ## \ddot{x} + 2\beta \dot{x} + \omega_0^2 x = fcos(\omega t)##
Lyapunov exponent is ## \lambda ## in the equation ## \delta x(t) = \delta x_0 e^{\lambda t} ##

The attempt at a solution
The gerenal solution of the system is given by ##Acos(\omega t - \delta) + Ce^{r_1 t} + De^{r_2 t}##

Consider two initial points 1 and 2. The solutions evolve to give ##Acos(\omega t - \delta) + C_1e^{r_1 t} + D_1e^{r_2 t}## and ##Acos(\omega t - \delta) + C_2e^{r_1 t} + D_2e^{r_2 t}## having initial points ##Acos(\delta) + C_{1,2} + D_{1,2}##.

Hence we have, ##\delta x(t) = C e^{r_1 t} + D e^{r_2 t}## and ##\delta x(0) = C + D ## where ##C = C_1 - C_2 ## and ##D = D_1 - D_2##

So now my problem now comes down to being able to write ##Ae^{x} + Be^{-x}## in the form of ##e^{y}(A+B) ## and figuring out y. And I don't know how I can do that. Am I doing this right? Or am I completely off track?

Ps. A and ##r_1## and ##r_2## have complex form depending on ## \beta## and ##\omega## etc.
##r_1## and ##r_2## in the equation can be changed into the form x and -x

Here's my suggestion and I'm no expert so you can take it or leave it. First, solve the differential equation explicitly. I found
r1= -β+√(β202)
r2= -β-√(β202)
δ=atan((ω202)/2ωβ).
You have δx(t) = e-βt((C1-C2)e+√(β202)t + (D1-D2)e-√(β202)t)
I assert that when β202 << 1, λ≅-ω0.

Last edited:

Related to Lyapunov exponents of a damped, driven harmonic oscillator

What are Lyapunov exponents?

Lyapunov exponents are a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of exponential divergence or convergence of nearby trajectories in a dynamical system. They are often used to study the stability of chaotic systems and can provide insight into the long-term behavior of a system.

What is a damped, driven harmonic oscillator?

A damped, driven harmonic oscillator is a type of system in which an object is subjected to a restoring force (such as a spring) and a damping force (such as friction) while being driven by an external force. This type of system can exhibit complex behavior, including chaotic motion.

How are Lyapunov exponents calculated for a damped, driven harmonic oscillator?

The Lyapunov exponents of a damped, driven harmonic oscillator can be calculated using numerical methods, such as the Lyapunov exponent spectrum or the Gram-Schmidt orthonormalization procedure. These methods involve tracking the behavior of nearby trajectories in the system and calculating their divergence or convergence rates.

What do the Lyapunov exponents of a damped, driven harmonic oscillator indicate?

The Lyapunov exponents of a damped, driven harmonic oscillator can indicate the system's sensitivity to initial conditions and its overall stability. A positive Lyapunov exponent indicates chaotic behavior and a negative exponent indicates stable behavior. Multiple exponents can provide more detailed information about the system's behavior.

How can knowledge of Lyapunov exponents be applied in real-world situations?

Knowledge of Lyapunov exponents can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology. In physics, they can be used to study the behavior of complex systems such as fluids or gases. In engineering, they can be used to improve the design and stability of systems. In biology, they can be used to understand the dynamics of biological systems, such as population growth or neural networks.