Energy eigenstates of a particle in a one dimensional box.

In summary: Since the photon carries away 8##\epsilon## of energy, there must be an equal amount of energy in the initial state that is left behind.
phoenix95
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A One dimensional box contains a particle whose ground state energy is ε. It is observed that a small disturbance causes the particle to emit a photon of energy hν=8ε, after which it is stable. Just before emission a possible state of the particle in terms of energy eigenstates {ψ1, ψ2...} would be
(a) (√2ψ1-3ψ2+5ψ5)/6

(b)(ψ2+2ψ3)/√5

(c)(-4ψ4+5ψ5)/√41

(d)(ψ12)/√2

Homework Equations

Energy eigenvalues for a particle in a 1-D potential well

E=n2h2/8mL2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where or how to start. Can someone help me here? Also if someone could suggest me a textbook with similar problems that would be helpful too...

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One photon transition satisfies ##E_i-E_f = h\nu## where ##E_i##, ##E_f##, and ##\nu## are initial particle's energy, final particle's energy, and the emitted/absorbed photon frequency, respectively. The question already tells you that ##E_f=E_1## and ##h\nu = 8E_1##, calculating ##E_i## should be straightforward. For introductory level books where this kind of problem may usually be found, there are Introduction to QM by Griffith and Quantum Physics by Gasiorowicz.

Likes phoenix95 and DrClaude
blue_leaf77 said:
The question already tells you that ##E_f=E_1## and ##h\nu = 8E_1##, calculating ##E_i## should be straightforward.
That leads me to Ei=9E1. One possible energy state would be E3. But all of the answers given are superposition of the energy eigenstates. How can one say that a particular superposition is a possible state?

Can you calculate the highest and lowest possible energies that each state could be found to have? Maybe that would narrow things down.

Out of the states with the right energy range, for which one is it even possible to measure an energy of 9##\epsilon##?

Last edited:
Likes phoenix95
Geofleur said:
Can you calculate the highest and lowest possible energies that each state could be found to have?
I don't know how to do that. Can you please guide me?

I'm in the middle of the quantum mechanics course. I thought once I had finished potential well theory I could solve this problem, but now I can't. I know little of superposition principle..

First, the coefficients on the eigenfunctions will tell you which energies they correspond to. For example, ##\Psi_2## is the eigenstate with the energy ## E_2 ##. Second, if a particle is in a superposition of eigenstates, then the probability of measuring each energy is the absolute square of the coefficient that is paired with the corresponding eigenstate. For example, if ##\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\Psi_1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\Psi_2 ##, then the probability of measuring ## E_1 ## is ##\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2 = \frac{1}{2} ##. The probability of measuring the energy corresponding to, say, state ##\Psi_7## in this example is zero, because the "coefficient" for this eigenstate in the expansion is zero.

Likes phoenix95
OK, please let me know if I am wrong...
Since the probability for the eigenstate ψ5 in (a) is maximum it is most probable and hence the highest possible energy state (a) could have..
similarly for (b) it is ψ3, for (c) it is ψ5 and for (d) it is ψ2?
Am I right here?

In the state given in (a), ##\Psi_5 ## corresponds to the highest possible energy in that state and, as long as the coefficient for ##\Psi_5## isn't zero, ##E_5## is a possible measurement outcome.

Yes, the highest energy eigenstates for (b), (c), and (d) are as you say. Similarly, the lowest energy eigenstates for (b), (c), and (d) are ##\Psi_2##, ##\Psi_4##, and ##\Psi_1##.

Now, if an eigenstate, say ##\Psi_7##, does not show up in an expansion of some state, what is the probability for measuring the corresponding energy, ##E_7##?

Geofleur said:
Now, if an eigenstate, say ##\Psi_7##, does not show up in an expansion of some state, what is the probability for measuring the corresponding energy, ##E_7##?
zero.:smile:

Likes Geofleur
Geofleur said:
Out of the states with the right energy range, for which one is it even possible to measure an energy of 9##\epsilon##?
(b) because of ψ3?

Yup.

Likes phoenix95
Wait, could it be that simple? I mean just because state (b) had the eigenstate ψ3 in it (with a finite probability), I can conclude that the initial state is possibly (b)??

It's that simple. No other state could possibly yield the correct energy upon measurement.

Likes phoenix95

Related to Energy eigenstates of a particle in a one dimensional box.

1. What is an energy eigenstate?

An energy eigenstate is a specific state that a particle can exist in within a given system, where the energy of the particle is well-defined and does not change over time.

2. What is a one dimensional box?

A one dimensional box is a theoretical system used in quantum mechanics to represent a confined space where a particle can exist. It is often used as a simplified model for real-world systems, such as a particle trapped in a potential well or a molecule in a crystal lattice.

3. How are energy eigenstates of a particle in a one dimensional box determined?

The energy eigenstates of a particle in a one dimensional box are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system, which takes into account the potential energy of the box and the kinetic energy of the particle. The solutions to this equation are known as wavefunctions, and the corresponding energies are the energy eigenvalues of the system.

4. How does the size of the box affect the energy eigenstates?

The size of the box has a direct effect on the energy eigenstates of a particle in a one dimensional box. As the size of the box increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced, meaning that the particle has a higher chance of being found in a higher energy state. Conversely, as the size of the box decreases, the energy levels become more widely spaced, and the particle is more likely to be found in a lower energy state.

5. What is the significance of energy eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Energy eigenstates play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they represent the fundamental states of a system. They are used to describe the behavior and properties of particles in various systems, and they form the basis for understanding more complex quantum phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement.