End of first year, what's next?

In summary, reaching the end of your first year is an exciting and important milestone that marks the beginning of planning for your future. It's a time to reflect on your accomplishments and set new goals for the upcoming years. This can include deciding on a major, considering internships or study abroad opportunities, and networking with professionals in your field. It's also important to prioritize self-care and maintaining a healthy balance between academic and personal life. The end of your first year is just the beginning, and there are endless possibilities ahead for your academic and personal growth.
Stickybees
Just finishing my first year of Physics, what topics are most likely to be in year 2 of a usual 'Maths for Physics' module if I wanted to start studying the Maths now? And what do you think would be the most useful topics to become quite fluent with?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been using Stoud's Engineering Mathematics books, they're making everything very easy, I'll have a look for it in the library though, thanks :D

micromass said:
I highly recommend you get this excellent book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It contains close to all the math a physics major should know. And the explanations are wonderful!

I second this!
This book is great.
The linear algebra is a little lacking though, I'd supplement it with some light la, like gilbert strangs linear algebra book (or hoffmans if you're feeling particularly mathy)

I'll also add a physics textbook reccomendation!
Landau and Lifgarbagez - A Course of Theoretical Physics - Volume 1, Classical Mechanics

Single best book on basic Action, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms, which you'll be thankful to know about when you start down the odd road that is quantum mechanics.

There's also goldsteins classical mechanics book, it covers more stuff but in my opinion it's just too boring to use as an introduction book, I'd use it as a reference after I'd completed L&L.

Last edited by a moderator:
genericusrnme said:
I second this!
This book is great.
The linear algebra is a little lacking though, I'd supplement it with some light la, like gilbert strangs linear algebra book (or hoffmans if you're feeling particularly mathy)

Yeah, I agree. You'll need to feel comfortable with linear algebra and (single-variable) calculus already.

Thanks a bunch, looking at the contents page for one of my Maths textbooks, which of these topics would be best to go through do you think?
mecMJ.png

Stickybees said:
Thanks a bunch, looking at the contents page for one of my Maths textbooks, which of these topics would be best to go through do you think?
mecMJ.png

All of them!
(M Boas' Mathematical Methods book does all of that and more (and probably will give you a better understanding) in ~300 less pages)

I've found a copy of Boas and I'll try reading through it, thanks. I've got a module called 'Statistical Physics, Entropy and Heat Engines' next year too, anyone know a book that would cover this kind of thing? Would it be under Statistical Mechanics, I noticed that Stanford has some lecture videos on it which seems to deal with Entropy and heat etc? Thanks!

Related to End of first year, what's next?

1. What should I expect at the end of my first year as a scientist?

At the end of your first year as a scientist, you can expect to have gained valuable experience in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and presenting your findings. You may also have developed a deeper understanding of your chosen field of study and formed connections with other scientists and researchers.

2. What are my options after completing my first year as a scientist?

After completing your first year as a scientist, you may choose to continue your studies and pursue a higher degree, such as a master's or PhD. Alternatively, you may also look for employment opportunities in research labs, academic institutions, or private companies.

3. How can I make the most of my first year as a scientist?

To make the most of your first year as a scientist, it is important to take advantage of all the opportunities available to you, such as attending conferences, participating in research projects, and networking with other scientists. It is also important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and seek guidance from experienced mentors.

4. What skills should I focus on developing during my first year as a scientist?

During your first year as a scientist, it is important to focus on developing a strong foundation in your chosen field of study, as well as skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, and communication. These skills will be essential for your future success in the scientific community.

5. How can I prepare for the next steps in my scientific career after my first year?

To prepare for the next steps in your scientific career after your first year, it is important to set goals and create a plan for achieving them. This may include gaining additional research experience, building a strong network, and honing your skills. You may also consider seeking guidance from your mentors and attending workshops or seminars to enhance your knowledge and skills.