Empty conducting cube with 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V

In summary: I think what I was trying to do is that if the potential inside the box was zero, then each term would equal a constant such thatX''/X=a Y''/Y=b and Z''/Z=c so that a+2b+c=0 and a would equal -2b. But I'm not sure how to do that with just equations and boundary conditions. In summary, the electric potential inside the box is zero if the potential on the two walls normal to the x-axis are both plus or minus V.
randomchance

Homework Statement

Empty cubic box of dimension "a" with conducting walls. Two opposite walls are held at a constant potential V, while the other walls are grounded. Find an expression for the electric potential inside the box. (Assume box centered on the origin, walls are all normal to one of the Cartesian axes, and that the non-grounded walls are normal to the x-axis.)
Now suppose that the two walls normal to the x-axis hare held at potentials plus/minusV. What now is the potential inside the box? Use separation of variables.

Homework Equations

So, we know that Poisson's equation inside the cube is =0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to type formula's in here, so take all of my "d"s to be partial "d"s
this means that d^2V/dx^2+d^2V/dy^2+d^2V/dz^2=0.
If we use separation of variables we can say that V(x,y,z)=X(x)Y(y)Z(z). I know that we can then plug this into Poisson's equation and then divide by XYZ to yield:
X''/X+Y''/Y+Z''/Z=0
I know that this means that each term needs to equal a constant and that the sum of those constants needs to equal 0. Now, this is where I start getting sketchy. If I say something like this:
X''=aX Y''=bY and Z''=cZ can I say that due to the symmetry of the cube and the fact that two endpoints (-a/2 and a/2) in both the y and z directions are equal to 0, that b=c and therefore a=(-2b)?
Also: I was trying to use Griffiths to help me, but I'm not sure why in some cases they had the solution be of the form Asin(kx)+Bcos(kx) and sometimes Aexp(kx)+Bexp(-kx). My instructor was vaguely said something to the effect that since our cube is centered at the origin that k can have both positive and negative values in the x direction and that means we need to consider both of those forms for the potential in the x direction (where I assume that we'd only need to consider one or the other in the other two directions??) Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, is this a box or a cube? If it is a box, which is the impression I get (though you did say cube?), then you don't have the Z dimension in your separation of variables.

Basically, the two different solutions (complex exponentials vs. real exponentials) depend on the boundary conditions. You can assign the constant value from the separation of variables to be either positive or negative. If you make it negative you will get complex exponentials (sin and cos), and real exponentials if positive (sinh and cosh). The boundary conditions will give a trivial solution if you set that constant value to the wrong sign. If I remember my PDE class correctly, a dirichlet boundary condition always gives sin and cos (but I may be wrong, so look it up if you need). Griffiths does a pretty awful job explaining PDEs and this whole section is a blemish on a great book, in my opinion. Whether you use cosh and sinh or exponentials is also another story.

What are you trying to say by symmetry? Just go by the boundary conditions, and those will form your unique solution. Of course you can always guess at something (is that what you're trying to do?), and if it satisfies both the PDE and the BCs then it's the unique solution that you happened to get right.

Sorry, this is a cube. I've never taken PDE's and Diff Eq was a few years ago, consequently my math kind of sucks (I'm trying to catch up as fast as possible). What I was trying to do with the symmetry thing was this:
If X''/X+Y''/Y+Z''/Z=0 then each term individually should equal a constant such that

X''/X= a Y''/Y=b and Z''/Z=c I know that a+b+c needs to equal 0. Since the boundary conditions are the same in the Y and Z directions, and the distance between the boundaries is the same in both directions I was trying to say that b=c so that now a+2b (or 2c) = 0 and a would need to equal -2b (or -2c). So instead of looking at 3 different constants, my equations would be in terms of 1:

X''=-2bX -> X=Acos(2bx)+Bsin(2bx)
Y''= bY -> Y=Cexp(by)+Dexp(-by)
Z''= bZ -> Z=Eexp(bz)+Fexp(-bz)

(*question here...on the exp, why is one positive and one negative?)
I dunno, I think maybe I'm just going about this in a screwy way.

Related to Empty conducting cube with 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V

1. What is an empty conducting cube with 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V?

An empty conducting cube with 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V refers to a cube-shaped object made of a conductive material, such as metal, with four sides placed on a flat surface (ground) and two sides pointing upwards in a V-shape.

2. What is the purpose of having 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V in an empty conducting cube?

The arrangement of 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V in an empty conducting cube allows for a more efficient and controlled flow of electricity. The ground acts as a stable reference point for the electric current, while the V-shaped sides help to concentrate and direct the flow of electricity.

3. How does an empty conducting cube with 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V work?

When an electric current is applied to the cube, the conductive material allows for the movement of electrons. The 4 sides at ground provide a low resistance path for the electrons to flow, while the 2 sides at V help to focus the flow in a specific direction. This allows for a more efficient and targeted use of electricity.

4. What are the potential applications of an empty conducting cube with 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V?

The unique design of an empty conducting cube with 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V can have various applications in electronics and power systems. It can be used as a grounding device to protect against electric shocks, as a component in circuit boards for efficient electricity flow, and in antennas for directing radio frequency signals.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using an empty conducting cube with 4 sides at ground and 2 sides at V?

One of the main limitations of this design is that it requires a conductive material, which can be more expensive and difficult to work with compared to non-conductive materials. Additionally, the V-shaped sides may not be suitable for all applications and may require precise positioning for optimal performance.