Electric potential inside a cube

In summary, the metal box has six insulated walls. The left and right wall are held at V= V0, which are at y=-d and y=d. All the other walls are grounded. The cube has dimensions where walls run from x=0 to x=2d, z=0 to z=2d, and y=-d to y=d. The Attempt at a Solution tries to find a solution to the equations for V(x,y), V(x,z), and V(y,z). However, the problem is that x and y are symmetric around z, so the equation only holds for x and y.
jerro

Homework Statement

A metal box has 6 walls, all insulated from one another. The left and right wall are held at V= V0, which are at y=-d and y=d. All the other walls are grounded.

The cube has dimensions where walls run from x=0 to x=2d, z=0 to z=2d, and y=-d to y=d.

Homework Equations

Seperation of variables in 3D:
[itex]\frac{1}{X}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial^{2} V}{\partial X}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{Y}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial^{2} V}{\partial Y}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{Z}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial^{2} V}{\partial Z}[/itex] =0

Boundary conditions:
V(x,0) = 0
V(x,2d) = 0
V(y, -d) = V0
V(y,d) = V0
V(z,0) = 0
V(z,2d) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that there is symmetry around z, so we can only worry about x and y.

V(x,y) = (Asinh(kx) + Bcosh(kx))(Ce^{ky} + De^{-ky})
which simplifies to (2cosh(ky)(Asinh(kx) + Bcosh(kx)).

Assuming all the above is correct, I am having issues at this point. I need to put this into a sum, which according to Griffiths should look something like

[itex]\sum[/itex] Cn cosh( npiy/a)sin(npix/a) = V0.

I don't understand how to simplify this. I have limits of integration, but I am not sure where an integral can arise from this.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems more natural to me to have all three coordinates run from -d to +d.
I am thinking that there is symmetry around z, so we can only worry about x and y.
Yes, there are symmetries, but I don't see this allows you to write the potential as a function of only two coordinates. It should be an even function wrt x, y and z, and there should be a symmetry between x and z.

Ok, that makes sense. So, with all three coordinates, the expression should be:

∑ Cn cosh( npiy/a)sin(npix/a)sin(npiz) = V0.

But what's next?

Just noticed this was wrong in the OP:
jerro said:
[itex]\frac{1}{X}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial^{2} V}{\partial X}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{Y}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial^{2} V}{\partial Y}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{Z}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial^{2} V}{\partial Z}[/itex] =0
You mean (1)## \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial X^2}+\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial Y^2}+\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial Z^2} =0##and by separation of variables to V=F(x)G(y)H(z):
(2) ##\frac1F\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial X^2}=a_n, \frac1G\frac{\partial^2 G}{\partial Y^2}=b_n, \frac1H\frac{\partial^2 H}{\partial Z^2} =c_n## where ##a_n+b_n+c_n=0##.
jerro said:
Surely that should be something like V(x,y,z) = ∑ Cn cosh( nπy/d)sin(nπx/d)sin(nπz/d). V0 applies whenever |y|=d:
Even then, doesn't seem to me that it satisfies (1). Maybe need a √2 factor inside the cosh?

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track. To simplify the expression, you can use the boundary conditions to determine the values of A, B, C, and D. For example, from the boundary condition V(y,-d) = V0, you can set y=-d and solve for A and B. Then, using the other boundary conditions, you can determine the values of C and D. This will give you a specific expression for V(x,y) that satisfies all the boundary conditions.

As for the sum, it comes from the fact that there are an infinite number of possible solutions to the Laplace's equation (the equation you have for V(x,y)). Each solution will have its own set of coefficients (Cn) and functions (cosh and sin) that satisfy the boundary conditions. The sum represents the combination of all these solutions that, when summed together, give the final solution to the problem.

I hope this helps. Keep working on it and don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed. Good luck!

Related to Electric potential inside a cube

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electrical potential energy that a charged particle has per unit of charge at a specific point in space. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential calculated inside a cube?

The electric potential inside a cube can be calculated by finding the sum of the electric potential contributions from each individual charged particle inside the cube. This calculation can be done using the formula V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle to the point where the potential is being measured.

3. Is the electric potential constant inside a cube?

No, the electric potential inside a cube can vary depending on the location within the cube. The potential is typically higher near the charged particles and decreases as the distance from them increases.

4. What factors affect the electric potential inside a cube?

The electric potential inside a cube is affected by the amount and distribution of charged particles inside the cube, as well as the distance between the particles and the point where the potential is being measured. It is also influenced by external factors such as the presence of other charged objects nearby.

5. How does the electric potential inside a cube relate to the electric field?

The electric potential inside a cube is related to the electric field by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential. In other words, the electric potential tells us how the electric field changes in space.