Emperical Formula for hydrate

• Thread starter Xenon100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for calculating the empirical formula of magnesium sulfate hydrate. The suggested method is to evaporate the water off the hydrate and calculate the masses of the anhydrous salt and water separately. The question arises if there are other methods, such as using a precipitate, to find the empirical formula. It is suggested to calculate the mass of the precipitate and use stoichiometry to find the mass of anhydrous magnesium sulfate. Concerns are raised about potential decomposition of the salt during the process.
Xenon100
I have a lab in which I need to devise my own procedure for calculating the emperical formula of magnesium sulfate hydrate. I have done some research and found out that the simplest way to find it would be through evaporating the water off the hydrate, calculating the masses of the anyhydrous salt and water separately and then, dividing the mass values to find the simple formula ratio.

So My question is: Is it possible to use another method beside evaporating the water in order to find the Emperical Formula? Can I use a precipitate method to calculate the Emperical Formula?(As in I add some of the magnesium sulfate hydrate into water and then I mix it with another solution that will then form a precipitate.)

My idea is that I can calculate the mass of the precipitate I formed, filter it, dry it, and then use stochiometry to at least find the mass of the anhydrous magnesium sulfate. However, I'm curious as to how I would find then calculate the mass of the water molecules. If you have any suggestions at all, please reply

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know initial mass of the sample, and amount of MgSO4 in it, you can calculate mass of water, don't you?

You first idea was OK, although sometimes it won't work. You have to be sure if your salt didn't decompose on roasting.

!

I would say that it is possible to use a precipitate method to calculate the empirical formula of magnesium sulfate hydrate. This method involves adding a known amount of the hydrate to water and then mixing it with another solution that will form a precipitate. The mass of the precipitate can then be measured, filtered, and dried to determine the mass of the anhydrous salt. However, it is important to note that this method may not give as accurate results as the evaporation method, as there may be some loss of the anhydrous salt during the filtration and drying process.

To calculate the mass of the water molecules, you can use the known mass of the anhydrous salt and the mass of the precipitate to determine the mass of water lost during the process. This can then be used to calculate the mass of water molecules in the hydrate and ultimately determine the empirical formula.

It is always important to consider multiple methods and choose the one that is most suitable for your specific experiment. I suggest conducting some trials with both methods to compare the results and determine which one gives the most accurate and precise data. Additionally, it is always a good idea to consult with a mentor or conduct further research to ensure the accuracy and validity of your experimental procedure.

Related to Emperical Formula for hydrate

What is the Empirical Formula for a hydrate?

The empirical formula for a hydrate is the simplest whole number ratio of the elements present in a hydrate compound. It represents the relative number of atoms of each element in the compound.

How is the Empirical Formula for a hydrate determined?

The empirical formula for a hydrate is determined through a process of experimental analysis and calculations. The mass of each element present in the compound is measured and converted into moles. The moles of each element are then divided by the smallest number of moles to determine the ratio of elements, which is the empirical formula.

What is the difference between the Empirical Formula and the Molecular Formula for a hydrate?

The empirical formula represents the simplest whole number ratio of elements in a compound, while the molecular formula represents the actual number of atoms of each element present in a molecule. The molecular formula is a multiple of the empirical formula.

Why is it important to know the Empirical Formula for a hydrate?

Knowing the empirical formula for a hydrate allows scientists to understand the composition and structure of the compound. It also allows for the prediction of properties and behaviors of the compound, as well as providing important information for further research and applications.

Can the Empirical Formula for a hydrate change?

The empirical formula for a hydrate can change depending on the experimental conditions. Changes in temperature, pressure, and other factors can alter the composition of the compound and therefore change the empirical formula. However, the relative ratios of elements will remain the same, making the empirical formula a useful tool for understanding the compound.