EM waves in matter (electrodynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Maxwell's equations to find the values of εr and ω in a homogeneous nonconducting region. The participant is unsure of how to approach the problem and asks for guidance in using the equations to calculate these values. Specifically, they mention trying to equate D=εE and ω=(ln|B/10μ0|+4/3y)/t, but are unsure if this is correct. They are advised to use the curl of H and E in the equations and compare them to find the values.
maverik
I'm having some trouble understanding this module. It would be great if anyone could help.

In a homogeneous nonconduction region where μr = 1, find εr and ω if

E=30(pi)e[i(ωt-4/3y)] in z direction

H=0.1e[i(ωt-4/3y)] in x direction

I am to understand that for a homognous nonconduction region D=εE and ε=εrε0. However, just equating εr=D/ε0E doesn't seem right. Judging from textbooks and notes I am assuming i must use Maxwell's eqn's for a homogenous nonconducting region, but I'm not sure where to get started. Similarly for ω i can equate ω=(ln|B/10μ0|+4/3y)/t. But again, I'm not sre that this is right.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
maverik said:
I am to understand that for a homognous nonconduction region D=εE and ε=εrε0. However, just equating εr=D/ε0E doesn't seem right. Judging from textbooks and notes I am assuming i must use Maxwell's eqn's for a homogenous nonconducting region, but I'm not sure where to get started.

There's nothing wrong with saying [itex]\epsilon_r=\frac{D}{\epsilon_0 E}[/itex]...but since [itex]D[/itex] is not given to you, you'll need to express it n terms of the parameters that are given to you in the problem (like [itex]\omega[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex])...to do that, take a look at what [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{H}[/itex] is...

As for finding [itex]\omega[/itex], try calculating [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{E}[/itex] and compare it to the relevant Maxwell equation...

Related to EM waves in matter (electrodynamics)

1. What is the difference between EM waves in vacuum and EM waves in matter?

EM waves in vacuum are waves that propagate through empty space, whereas EM waves in matter are waves that travel through a medium such as air, water, or solid objects. The presence of matter can affect the properties of EM waves, such as their speed and direction of propagation.

2. How does matter interact with EM waves?

Matter interacts with EM waves through a phenomenon called absorption, where the energy of the wave is transferred to the particles of the medium. This interaction can also cause the EM waves to change direction or reflect off the surface of the matter.

3. How does the refractive index of a material affect EM waves?

The refractive index of a material is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when traveling through that material. This reduction in speed can affect the direction and intensity of EM waves as they pass through the material, causing them to bend or scatter.

4. Can EM waves pass through all types of matter?

EM waves can pass through most types of matter, but the amount of energy that is absorbed or transmitted depends on the properties of the material. For example, transparent materials such as glass allow most EM waves to pass through, while opaque materials like metal reflect or absorb the waves.

5. How are EM waves affected by the electrical properties of matter?

The electrical properties of matter, such as conductivity and permittivity, can affect the speed and direction of EM waves. For example, materials with higher conductivity can reflect or absorb more EM energy, while materials with higher permittivity can slow down the speed of the waves.