Em waves and magnetic field lines

In summary, electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that can travel through a vacuum and are created by the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. These waves have properties such as wavelength, frequency, and amplitude, and are classified into different types based on their frequency range. The direction of the electric and magnetic fields in an EM wave are perpendicular to each other, and they travel in a transverse manner. Magnetic field lines, on the other hand, represent the direction and strength of the magnetic field around a magnet or current-carrying wire. These lines form closed loops and can be used to visualize the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Understanding the relationship between EM waves and magnetic field lines is crucial in many scientific and technological fields, including
physics user1
So i know that magnetic field lines are closed, in an electromagnetc wave how can be these lines closed? i cannot picture this in my head

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe they look something like the following:

Felder_um_Dipol.jpg

Likes Dale and physics user1
Thanks @Drakkith

Drakkith said:
I believe they look something like the following:

Felder_um_Dipol.jpg
Is an antenna in the middle?

cpxuvs said:
Is an antenna in the middle?

Yes there is. I believe that's the radiation pattern of a standard dipole antenna.

Related to Em waves and magnetic field lines

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves, or EM waves, are a type of energy that travels through space. They are composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of wave propagation. EM waves can range in frequency from very low, such as radio waves, to very high, such as gamma rays.

2. How are EM waves created?

EM waves are created when an electric charge is accelerated or moved back and forth. This can happen naturally, as with lightning, or artificially, as with radio antennas. The changing electric and magnetic fields produced by the moving charge create a self-propagating wave that can travel through space.

3. What is the relationship between EM waves and magnetic field lines?

EM waves and magnetic field lines are closely related. As mentioned earlier, EM waves are composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. The direction of the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation and the direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the electric field and the direction of wave propagation. This means that as an EM wave travels through space, the electric and magnetic fields are constantly changing in direction and magnitude.

4. How do magnetic field lines affect EM waves?

Magnetic field lines do not directly affect EM waves, but they are essential in understanding the behavior of EM waves. Magnetic field lines show the direction and strength of a magnetic field, which is an important component of EM waves. The changing magnetic field is what induces the electric field, which then produces the EM wave.

5. What are some real-world applications of EM waves and magnetic field lines?

EM waves and magnetic field lines are used in many different technologies, such as radio and television broadcasting, cell phone communication, and medical imaging. They are also important in understanding the Earth's magnetic field and its interactions with the sun's magnetic field, which can affect GPS systems and power grids. Additionally, scientists use EM waves and magnetic field lines in their research to better understand the universe and its many phenomena.