Elongation of non-uniform (area) bar.

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for a bar of uniform material with varying diameters and a linear function. The equations are used to determine the change in length, and after some calculations, the final equation is found to be Delta L = (P*L)/(pi*E*R_1*R_2). This equation is verified to be correct.
Starwatcher16
Lets say I have a bar of uniform material where one end has a diameter given by [tex]R_1[/tex] and another end given by [tex]R_2[/tex]. [tex]R_2 > R_1[/tex], R(x) is linear.

So I know now three equations:

A)[tex] s=\frac{E \Delta L}{L} [/tex]

B)[tex]R_x=R_1+\frac{x}{L}*(R_2-R_1)[/tex]

C)[tex]A_x=\pi*R_x^2[/tex]

Therefore, I know:

[tex]\Delta L=\frac{P}{E}\int \frac{dx}{\pi*A_x^2}=\frac{P}{E} \int \frac{dx}{\pi*[R_1+\frac{X}{L}(R_2-R_1)]^2}[/tex],

let [tex]u=R_1+\frac{x}{L}*(R_2-R_1),\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{R_2-R_1}{L}[/tex], so:

[tex] Delta L=\frac{P}{E}*\frac{L}{R_2-R_1} \int \frac{dx}{\pi*[R_1+\frac{X}{L}(R_2-R_1)]^2}=\frac{P}{E\pi}*\frac{L}{R_2-R_1}*[\frac{1}{R_1}-\frac{1}{R_2}][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{P*L}{\pi*E*R_1*R_2}[/tex]

Is that right?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Starwatcher16 said:
Lets say I have a bar of uniform material where one end has a diameter given by [tex]R_1[/tex]

You mean radius here, right? Otherwise, looks good to me.

Mapes said:
You mean radius here, right? Otherwise, looks good to me.

Yes, I did. Thanks for the verification.

Related to Elongation of non-uniform (area) bar.

1. What is "Elongation of non-uniform (area) bar"?

"Elongation of non-uniform (area) bar" refers to the change in length of a bar that has varying cross-sectional areas along its length when subjected to a force. This phenomenon is also known as "non-uniform deformation."

2. How is elongation of non-uniform bar calculated?

The elongation of a non-uniform bar can be calculated using the formula ΔL = (FL)/AE, where ΔL is the change in length, F is the applied force, L is the original length of the bar, A is the cross-sectional area at the point of interest, and E is the Young's modulus of the material.

3. What factors can affect the elongation of a non-uniform bar?

Several factors can affect the elongation of a non-uniform bar, including the magnitude of the applied force, the material properties of the bar, the variation in cross-sectional area along the length of the bar, and the type of loading (tensile, compressive, etc.).

4. What is the significance of studying elongation of non-uniform bars?

Studying the elongation of non-uniform bars is essential in engineering and material science as it helps in understanding the behavior of materials under different loading conditions. This knowledge is crucial in designing structures and components that can withstand varying forces without undergoing excessive deformation.

5. Can elongation of non-uniform bars be prevented?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely prevent the elongation of non-uniform bars. However, it can be minimized by choosing materials with high Young's modulus and designing the bar with a more uniform cross-sectional area. Additionally, proper support and reinforcement can also help in reducing the elongation of non-uniform bars.