Elliptic Functions, same principal parts, finding additive C

In summary: XIn summary, the approach taken to solve part e) of the problem is correct as it considers the expansion of the function about each individual pole separately, which in this case is the same at both poles. The constant term, C, is therefore equal to 4ψ(a). While it is important to consider the function over the entire complex plane, in this case, we are specifically asked to determine the value of C, which only requires us to consider the expansions at the two poles. Overall, the approach used was effective in solving the problem.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

See attached.

ellipcpc3.png

The solution of part e) is ##C=4\psi(a)##

I am looking at part e, the answer to part d being that the principal parts around the poles ##z=0## and ##z=-a## are the same.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since we already know the negative powers of ##z## have the same expansions, and ##C## corresponds to the ##z^0## term, ##f_a(z)^2## about ##z=0## gives ##\frac{4}{z^2}+4\psi(a)z^2+4\psi(a)## and so the relevant term is ##4\psi(a)##.

Looking at the expansion of ##f_a(z)^2## about ##z=-a## there is no ##z^0## term so I conclude ##C=4\psi(a)##.

QUESTION
- This doesn't really seem like a proper approach, i.e to break it down to considering the expansions of ##f_a(z)## about ##z=0 ## and ##z=-a## separately, whereas I am considering the RHS as a function over the entire complex plane . ( if I wasn't considering the RHS or LHS over the entire complex plane then the theorem to give the additive constant ##C## does not work, so I don't really see how you can break it down on either the LHS or RHS to consider only an expansion about a single pole ? )

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach to solving part e) of the problem is correct. It is important to consider the expansion of the function about each individual pole separately, as the function may have different expansions at different poles. In this case, the function has the same expansion at both poles, which allows us to conclude that the constant term, C, is equal to 4ψ(a).

It is also important to consider the function over the entire complex plane, as this allows us to understand its behavior and properties. However, in this case, we are specifically asked to determine the value of C, which only requires us to consider the expansions at the two poles.

I hope this helps clarify your approach. Keep up the good work in your studies!Scientist

Related to Elliptic Functions, same principal parts, finding additive C

What are elliptic functions?

Elliptic functions are a special type of meromorphic function that are periodic in both the real and imaginary directions. They are defined by the addition of two complex numbers in the form of a lattice, and have many applications in mathematics and physics.

What are principal parts of an elliptic function?

The principal parts of an elliptic function refer to the singularities, or poles, of the function. These are the points where the function is undefined, and they can be classified as simple poles, double poles, triple poles, and so on.

What does it mean for two elliptic functions to have the same principal parts?

If two elliptic functions have the same principal parts, it means that they have the same singularities or poles. This is important because it allows for the comparison and analysis of different elliptic functions.

How can I find the additive constant C in an elliptic function?

The additive constant C can be found by using the Weierstrass elliptic function, which is a special type of elliptic function that has a single double pole. By manipulating the series expansion of this function, the value of C can be determined.

What are some real-world applications of elliptic functions?

Elliptic functions have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model physical phenomena such as heat flow, electric potential, and fluid dynamics. They also have applications in cryptography, signal processing, and number theory.