Ellipsoid Equation for Object Motion?

• Thread starter jclar1701d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipsoid
In summary, the person is seeking help with a formula for calculating an ellipsoid for a physics programming project. They have an object with a given velocity and a nearby point, and want to use these to determine the ellipsoid's surface for the object to move along. They are unsure about the necessary information needed for this calculation.
jclar1701d

Homework Statement

Hey, I'm doing some physics programming for a game, and could use some general help getting a formula. I'm not great with mathematics/physics, but I know enough to comprehend any feedback. Any help is greatly appreciated!

So I have an object free-floating in 3D space at velocity 'v' (an (x,y,z) vector). Then, a nearby point is selected, 'P' ((x,y,z) point).
I need to calculate an ellipsoid using 'v' as a tangent vector, and 'P' as the center point. The object will need to move along the surface of the ellipsoid. Initially, it will move in an elliptical motion around 'P', but input will allow the object to change direction along the full ellipsoid's surface.

I guess my first question is: do I need any other information to calculate the ellipsoid?

Homework Equations

To give an idea, at the end of the day, I need to have a single (x,y,z) vector to act as my object's new velocity at every new moment. My new equation needs to provide this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really even sure where to start. It's been a while since I've dealt with math/physics of this level, so any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
An ellipsoid has 8 degrees of freedom: 3 for the coordinates of the centre, two for the orientation and 3 more for the shape. P nails the first 3, but the tangent requirement only fixes one more (I think). So yes, you need a fair bit more information.

Related to Ellipsoid Equation for Object Motion?

1. What is the equation for an ellipsoid?

The equation for an ellipsoid is x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 + z^2/c^2 = 1, where a, b, and c are the lengths of the semi-principal axes.

2. How is an ellipsoid different from a sphere?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape with three unequal axes, while a sphere has all three axes of equal length.

3. What are some real-life examples of ellipsoids?

Some real-life examples of ellipsoids include planets, eggs, and rugby balls.

4. How is the equation for an ellipsoid derived?

The equation for an ellipsoid is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and the definition of an ellipse in three dimensions.

5. Can the equation for an ellipsoid be used to represent other shapes?

Yes, the equation for an ellipsoid can be used to represent other shapes such as cylinders, cones, and paraboloids by setting one or two of the semi-principal axes to zero.