Eletricity, question from Brazil

• Thread starter Aldo Gondim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brazil
In summary, the maximum value of U2 (the potential difference between the plates of the capacitor) that allows some electrons to reach region III is 10 V³, given that the potential difference between the metal filament F and the perforated plate P is U1 = 25 × 10³ V and the plates of the capacitor are separated by a distance of 0.50 cm. This can be found using the equation U2 = E1d, where E1 is the electric field in region I, which can be calculated using the potential difference U1 and the distance between F and P.
Aldo Gondim
Hello, I'm with a doubt, and my teacher don't know how to solve, I translated this question to English so it can have some mistakes, please help me!

Homework Statement

(ITA) In a laboratory experiment, electrons are emitted by a metal filament F with virtually no initial velocity and are accelerated through the region I by a potential difference U1 25 × 10 ³ V, applied between F and the perforated plate P. They emerge from the hole of the plate with horizontal velocity and penetrate the region II, where they are forced to cross the uniform electric field of a capacitor whose plates are 5.0 cm long and are separated by a distance d = 0.50 cm as shown. What is the maximum value of U2 ddp between the plates of the capacitor that still allows some electrons reach the region III, where there is electric field?
Is given the figure:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9923/fisita.jpg
Answer = 10 V ³

Homework Equations

How can I find the tension? Using T=q.U

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to decompound the vectors but didn't work

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for any help!If the potential difference between the metal filament F and the perforated plate P is U1 = 25 × 10³ V, then the electric field in region I must be E1 = U1/d where d is the distance between F and P. Since the electrons emerge from the hole of the plate with a horizontal velocity, the electric field in region II must be perpendicular to the direction of the electron motion. The maximum value of U2 (the potential difference between the plates of the capacitor) that allows some electrons to reach region III is given by the equation U2 = E1d, where E1 is the electric field in region I and d is the distance between the plates of the capacitor. Therefore, the maximum value of U2 is U2 = 25 × 10³ V x (0.50 cm) = 10 V³.

Related to Eletricity, question from Brazil

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. It is a fundamental force of nature that powers many of our modern technologies and plays a crucial role in our daily lives.

2. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated in different ways, but the most common method involves converting mechanical energy into electrical energy through generators. This can be achieved by using various sources such as coal, wind, water, or nuclear power.

3. What are the main uses of electricity?

Electricity has a wide range of uses, including powering our homes, businesses, and industries. It is used for lighting, heating, cooling, cooking, transportation, and communication. It also plays a vital role in healthcare, education, and entertainment.

4. How does electricity travel?

Electricity travels through conductors, which are materials that allow the flow of electrons. These can include metals, water, and the human body. The flow of electricity is regulated by the properties of the conductor, such as resistance and voltage.

5. What are the potential dangers of electricity?

Electricity can be dangerous if not handled properly. It can cause electric shocks, fires, and explosions. It is important to follow safety precautions, such as using insulated tools and wearing protective gear, when dealing with electricity to prevent accidents and injuries.