Elements of Dual of Infinite_Dim. Space have Codimension One

In summary, the conversation discusses the kernel of any element in a finite-dimensional normed space V and how it can be shown to have a rank of 1 and a nullity of n-1. The conversation then moves on to consider the case of V being infinite-dimensional and how to show that the kernel of a linear map L in V* is a maximal subspace of V. The conclusion is that the kernel is indeed the whole space, but this only works in the case of infinite-dimensional V.
Bacle
Hi:
In the case of a finite-dimensional normed space V, it is relatively-straightforward to
show that the kernel of any element of V* has 1 .

( Assume DimV=n):

We take a linear map L:V-->F ; F the base field. We choose a basis to represent L,
then we consider F as a vector space over itself; F is then 1-dimensional over
itself, then ,( by rank-nullity) , L has rank 1 , so it must have nullity n-1.

I don't see, though, how, in the case of V infinite-dimensional, how to show that, given
L in V* , that the kernel of L is a maximal (strict) subspace; I don't know if we still
say that KerV* has codimension 1.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let W be a linear subspace of V which strictly contains ker(L). Our goal is to show that W=V.

Take w in W such that L(w)=1. This exists, since W contains the kernel strictly.
Now, take v in V, and let a=L(v). Then v-aw is an element of the kernel, and is thus contained in W. Thus v=aw+(v-aw) is an element of W. This shows that V=W.

Sorry, I don't get it; you showed that the kernel is the whole space. Then the map
should be the zero map, right?. Also: how did you use the fact that V is infinite-dimensional?

Never mind, sorry, I jumped the gun; I got it. Thanks.

Related to Elements of Dual of Infinite_Dim. Space have Codimension One

What are the elements of the dual of an infinite-dimensional space with codimension one?

The elements of the dual space are the linear functionals that map vectors from the original space to the field of scalars. In this case, the elements of the dual space will be linear functionals that map vectors from the infinite-dimensional space to the field of scalars.

How do these elements relate to the original space?

The elements of the dual space are closely related to the original space. Each element of the dual space corresponds to a unique vector in the original space, and vice versa. This means that the dual space and the original space have the same dimension, and are isomorphic to each other.

What is the codimension of an infinite-dimensional space with codimension one?

The codimension of a space is the difference between its dimension and the dimension of its ambient space. In this case, the codimension is one, which means that the dual space has one less dimension than the original infinite-dimensional space.

How are the elements of the dual space represented?

The elements of the dual space can be represented as linear combinations of a dual basis, which is a set of linear functionals that form a basis for the dual space. These linear functionals are typically denoted as fi, where i is an index.

Why are the elements of the dual space important?

The elements of the dual space play a crucial role in many mathematical and scientific fields. They allow us to define and manipulate mathematical objects in infinite-dimensional spaces, which are often used to model complex systems and phenomena. The dual space also has important applications in fields such as functional analysis, quantum mechanics, and signal processing.