Elementary differential equations: transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation and simplifying the resulting expression. After making some corrections, the equation is rewritten as (z+3)dx +(2z-1)(dz-dx/2)=0, which is then simplified to 7dx + (2z-1)dz=0 by factoring out the common factor of dz. The book's approach is to factor out the dz term, while the individual's attempt was to combine the dz terms.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

(x+2y+3)dx+(2x+4y-1)dy=0

a1= 1 b1=2 a2=2 b2=4
a2/a1=b2/b1

Therefore z=x+2y
Here is where I get confused I understand that they must get a dz in the equations thus they take the derivative with respect to y of the following equation z=x+2y
thus giving dz=dx+2 or dz-dx/2

What I don't understand is the simplification process that occurs now

(z+3)dx +(2z-1)(dz-dx/2)=0

then the book goes on to transform it into

7dx + (2z-1)dz=0

I have no idea what they did to get to that step.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement

(x+2y+3)dx+(2x+4y-1)dy=0

a1= 1 b1=2 a2=2 b2=4
a2/a1=b2/b1

Therefore z=x+2y
Here is where I get confused I understand that they must get a dz in the equations thus they take the derivative with respect to y of the following equation z=x+2y
thus giving dz=dx+2 or dz-dx/2
This isn't right. When you differentiate, you should get dz = dx + 2 dy. You can't have that lone 2 hanging around. It needs to be multiplied by dy. Then when you solve for dy, you get dy = (dz-dx)/2. Your second mistake was leaving out the parentheses.

Does it make sense after you make those corrections? It's just algebra from here.

What I don't understand is the simplification process that occurs now

(z+3)dx +(2z-1)(dz-dx/2)=0

then the book goes on to transform it into

7dx + (2z-1)dz=0

I have no idea what they did to get to that step.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
It does clear up a few things but I am actually stuck on the algebra portion.

What I am doing in that case is first multiplying both sides by 2 and I get

2zdx+6dx+(2z-1)(dz-dx)=0
2zdx+6dx+(2zdz-2zdx-dz+dx)=0

7dx+2zdz-dz=0

In my mind I want to make it 7dx+zdz=0

But the book factors out the dz to make it 7dx+(2z-1)dz=0

Why do they go that route?

To put it bluntly: because what you want to do in your mind is wrong. :smile:

When you combine the dz terms, what you are doing is factoring. You pull out the common factor of dz to get (2z-1) dz. You can't do anything to simplify the expression from here.

If you had, instead, 2z dz - z dz, you'd factor dz out to get (2z-z)dz. This time, you can simplify what's in the parentheses to end up with z dz. Or even better, you could pull out the common factor of z dz to get 2z dz - z dz = (2-1) z dz = z dz.

Awesome thanks man! (: I love it when math makes sense.

Related to Elementary differential equations: transformations

1. What are some common transformations used in solving elementary differential equations?

Some common transformations used in solving elementary differential equations include substitution, change of variables, and separation of variables.

2. How can transformations be used to simplify differential equations?

Transformations can be used to simplify differential equations by reducing them to a more manageable form, such as a separable differential equation or a first-order linear differential equation.

3. Can transformations be used to solve all types of differential equations?

No, while transformations can be a powerful tool in solving differential equations, they may not be able to solve all types of equations. Some equations may require other techniques such as Euler's method or power series solutions.

4. Do transformations always result in an exact solution to a differential equation?

No, transformations may result in an exact solution for some differential equations, but for others, they may only provide an approximation or an implicit solution.

5. How do you know which transformation to use for a given differential equation?

Choosing the appropriate transformation for a given differential equation often involves trial and error, as well as a thorough understanding of the properties of different transformations. It is also helpful to have a grasp of the form of the solution you are trying to obtain.