Element of a group composed a times = e -> a = e

In summary: Z_n\times Z_n into a finite abelian group of order n^2?In summary, the necessary and sufficient condition for a^m = e -> a=e in a finite abelian group of order n is (m,n) = 1, where m and n are the orders of the elements a and the group G, respectively. This can be shown by contraposition, by assuming (m,n) ≠ 1 and finding an element a ≠ e such that a^m = e. Other methods such as Cauchy's theorem or Sylow's theorems may also be used, but they are not necessary for the proof.
faradayslaw

Homework Statement

EDIT: Necessary and sufficient condition for a^m = e -> a=e for a in a finite abelian group of order n, and I think the answer is (m,n)=1, but it is hard for me to show a^m =e -> a=e requires (m,n) =1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if GCD(m,n) =1 then if a^m = e, then o(a) | m, but by Lagrange, o(a) | n -> 1 = GCD(m,n) >= o(a) -> o(a) =1 -> a=e.

However, if a^m=e -> a=e, I thought the following: suppose d=GCD(m,n). Then, d= bm + cn (b,c integers) suppose a^m = e -> a^bm = e -> a^(bm + cn) = e -> a^d =e, then I thought so now we need a^d =e -> a=e, so o(a) can't divide d, but o(a) divides m and n, since a^m =e, whence o(a) | bm +cn -> o(a)|d

(but if o(a)|m, then a^m =e doesn't imply a= e) so I don't know if it is right to say o(a)|m, so I am stuck here and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: Necessary and sufficient condition for a^m = e -> a=e for a in a finite abelian group of order n, and I think the answer is (m,n)=1, but it is hard for me to show a^m =e -> a=e requires (m,n) =1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no elements of finite order except e. for example the group of non zero real numbers, under multiplication.

faradayslaw said:

Homework Statement

I was wondering about a necessary and sufficient condition for a^m = e -> a=e.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if GCD(m,n) =1 then if a^m = e, then o(a) | m, but by Lagrange, o(a) | n -> 1 = GCD(m,n) >= o(a) -> o(a) =1 -> a=e.

However, if a^m=e -> a=e, I thought the following: suppose d=GCD(m,n). Then, d= bm + cn (b,c integers) suppose a^m = e -> a^bm = e -> a^(bm + cn) = e -> a^d =e, then I thought so now we need a^d =e -> a=e, so o(a) can't divide d, but o(a) divides m and n, since a^m =e, whence o(a) | bm +cn -> o(a)|d

(but if o(a)|m, then a^m =e doesn't imply a= e) so I don't know if it is right to say o(a)|m, so I am stuck here and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

necessary and sufficient condition on...what? a? m? the group G?

good point. my answer was for m>1. if m = 1, we could say any group.

Thanks so much for your responses, I forgot to say, sorry, a necessary and sufficient condition on m and the order of the abelian group n. Sorry for leaving out so much, just spent so much time on it, I didn't even ralize I left the details out. Again:

Necessary and sufficient condition for a^m = e -> a=e for a in a finite abelian group of order n, and I think the answer is (m,n)=1, but it is hard for me to show a^m =e -> a=e requires (m,n) =1.

By contraposition. Given [itex](m,n)\neq 1[/itex], try to find an element [itex]a\neq e[/itex] such that [itex]a^m=e[/itex].

I've looked at the fact that GCD(m,n) is a linear combination of them, and said something like: Let d=(m,n) then d=bm + cn, b,c integers, then
a^(d)= a^(bm +cn) = a^bm -> o(a)|d-bm, but we already knew this by Lagrange.

a^(d-1)=/ e since d>1, but a^m*(d-1) = a^m*(bm +cn -1) = a^m*(bm-1), but I don't know how to show this is identity.EDIT just thought d|m, d|n -> m=q'd, n=qd -> a^(n/d) = a^q, if I had some way to show o(a)|\ q, then I would have a^q =/ e, whence a^(q*m) = a^(n/(m/q`))*m = a^(n*q') = e, but I need to have that o(a) doesn't divide q, I know that if d>1, then n>q, but what if q=k*o(a) for some integer k??

faradayslaw said:
I've looked at the fact that GCD(m,n) is a linear combination of them, and said something like: Let d=(m,n) then d=bm + cn, b,c integers, then
a^(d)= a^(bm +cn) = a^bm -> o(a)|d-bm, but we already knew this by Lagrange.

a^(d-1)=/ e since d>1, but a^m*(d-1) = a^m*(bm +cn -1) = a^m*(bm-1), but I don't know how to show this is identity.

Do you know Cauchy's theorem?? Or sylows theorems? Look them up and try to use them in your reasoning.

micromass said:
Do you know Cauchy's theorem?? Or sylows theorems? Look them up and try to use them in your reasoning.

Thanks, but

I do actually know both, but Cauchy's thm. only applies to finite groups whose orders are divisible by a prime, and Sylow's only to a finite group of order p^n *m, where p doesn't divide m, so given n arbitrary, I don't think the proof should require these, (I wanted to do a general case) but does my edit on the last post loook right?

faradayslaw said:
Thanks, but

I do actually know both, but Cauchy's thm. only applies to finite groups whose orders are divisible by a prime,

This is every group. (except the trivial group). Every number n>1 is divisible by a prime.

and Sylow's only to a finite group of order p^n *m, where p doesn't divide m, so given n arbitrary,

This is again every group. (except the trivial group). Every number can be written in those ways.

I don't think the proof should require these, (I wanted to do a general case) but does my edit on the last post loook right?

What's bothering me about it is that you never actually construct a. Given n and m you must FIND an [itex]a\neq a[/itex] such that [itex]a^m=e[/itex]. So, how would you make a?

Thanks, yeah, by the thm. n>1 -> n is prime or product of primes, Cauchy's Thm. can be applied, but still I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by find. If we don't know what the group is, what I thought find meant was in terms of some arbitrary non identity element a??

faradayslaw said:
Thanks, yeah, by the thm. n>1 -> n is prime or product of primes, Cauchy's Thm. can be applied, but still I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by find. If we don't know what the group is, what I thought find meant was in terms of some arbitrary non identity element a??

The element a is obviously not arbitrary. Given n and m, you must show that there EXISTS an [itex]a\neq e[/itex] such that [itex]a^m=e[/itex].

Indeed, the group is general, so you don't really have much options in constructing your a. Cauchy's theorem will be helpful as it states the existence of elements with certain properties...

Thanks,
Ok, sorry for my silly mistakes,

By Cauchy, we know there exists an x in G with o(x) = p, where p is some prime factor of n. If p>d, p cannot divide d, so (p,d) =1, but d|n, p|n , (p,d) =1 -> dp|n -> x^(dp) = e. Still working, but is this the right track?

faradayslaw said:
Thanks,
Ok, sorry for my silly mistakes,

By Cauchy, we know there exists an x in G with o(x) = p, where p is some prime factor of n. If p>d, p cannot divide d, so (p,d) =1, but d|n, p|n , (p,d) =1 -> dp|n -> x^(dp) = e. Still working, but is this the right track?

Yes, but which p did you take??

As written, I guess I took an arbitrary prime divisor of n, and am checking if >d or <d, but (p,d) =1 -> x^d =/ e, but x^md = x^lp
d=am + bn = am + bp/q
x^d*m = x^am^2

Am I supposed to take the least prime divisor exists by law of well-ordering on Z+, and then arrive at contradiction on minimality?

Remember that you assumed [itex]gcd(m,n)\neq 1[/itex] Do something with that.

dp|n -> dp can't divide m, since if it did, it would be (m,n),
but x^d = x^(am+bn) = x^am=/e since (p,d) =1.

d|n, so let n=q*d. Let x be the above element, then if p>q, p|/ q -> x^q =/e, but x^m*q = x^(q'*d) *q =x^(q'*n_ = e, a contradiction. So, p must divide q. But if p|q ...??

If p|q, p<q, whence x^q =/ e, since p is the smallest integer which satisfies x^ y = e !

Is this right?

Suppose a^m =e -> a=e, then suppose d>1 is s.t. d=(m,n). d>1 -> d is a prime or a product of primes. If d is a prime, since d|n, by Cauchy's Thm, there exists an element, x in G s.t. o(x) =d. But then since d|m, x=/e, but x^m =e, a contradiction. So, then d is a product of primes. But d|n -> there are elements of orders p1 and p2 (pi are prime divisors of d|n), but then by Cauchy's Thm, there are elements of order pi in the group. d|m , pi relatively prime, p1p2|m -> p1|m, p2|m, whence either of these elements are counter examples to the assumption. Therefore, we have a contradiction on d>1 and d=1. QED
Thanks to everyone's help.

Related to Element of a group composed a times = e -> a = e

1. What does the term "element" mean in this context?

In mathematics, an element refers to a member of a set or a group. In this case, it represents one of the components or values in the group.

2. What is the significance of the letter "e" in this equation?

"e" represents the identity element in a group, which is the element that when combined with any other element in the group, produces that same element. In other words, it serves as the neutral element or the "zero" of the group.

3. How is the group composed in this equation?

The group is composed of multiple elements that are combined together using a certain operation, such as addition or multiplication. The group is defined by a specific set of elements and a specific operation that is defined for those elements.

4. What is the significance of the arrow symbol in this equation?

The arrow symbol indicates the direction of the operation. In this case, it means that the element "a" is the result of the operation between the identity element "e" and another element in the group.

5. What is the overall meaning of this equation?

This equation represents an important property of groups, which states that when an element is combined with the identity element, it remains unchanged. This property is known as the identity element property or the identity law.