Electrostatic force problem in Newtons

In summary, three charges of +14 uC, -14 uC, and +47 uC are fixed to an xy coordinate system. The charge at +14 uC is located on the y-axis at y= +3 m, the charge at -14 uC is at the origin, and the charge at +47 uC is on the x-axis at x= +3 m. The magnitude of the net electrostatic force on the charge at x= +3 m is -0.3287 N, with a direction of 45 degrees below the -x axis. The net force was calculated by adding the forces between x and y and between x and the origin. The force was broken into x and y components and
bagwellaj
Three charges are fixed to an xy coordinate system. A charge of +14 uC is on the y-axis at y= +3 m. A charge of -14 uC is at the origin. Lastly a charge of +47 is on the x-axis at x= +3 m. Determine the magnitude and direction of the net electrostatic force on the charge at x= +3 m. Specify the direction relative to the -x axis.

Magnitude is in Newtons; direction is in degrees.

State whether the direction is above or below the -x axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums. There's this policy that you have to show your own work when you ask for help (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379): So, what have you tried?

If tried to get the force between points x any y, and also between x and the origin, by using the formula F= Kq1q1)/r^2. The radius between x and the origin I assumed is 3, and by using the pythagoreon theorem, I used the square root of 18 for the radius between x and y. The force between x and y came out to be .3286 N. The force between x and the origin came out to be -.65727 N. I added them together to get the net electrostatic force, which came out to be -.3287 N. I'm not sure if I did this problem right. The only thing I could think to come up with for the direction is 45 degrees.

Force is a vector, and in this case the vectors are not pointing in the same direction. Break the vectors into x and y components.

I did cos45= (x/.3286) to get the magnitude of the force between x and y going in the same direction as the force between x and the origin. Does addin them together then give me the correct net force?

Supposing I understood what you were about to do: yes, you get the net force in x direction. To get the total net force though, you have to take the y component into account as well.

Related to Electrostatic force problem in Newtons

1. What is electrostatic force and how is it measured in Newtons?

Electrostatic force is the force of attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is measured in Newtons (N), which is the unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

2. What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force?

The strength of electrostatic force depends on the magnitude of the charges, the distance between the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. The greater the charges and the closer they are, the stronger the force will be. The type of medium can also affect the force, as some materials are better conductors of electricity than others.

3. How is electrostatic force calculated using Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law states that the magnitude of electrostatic force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It can be expressed as F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, q1 and q2 are the charges in Coulombs, r is the distance between the charges in meters, and k is the proportionality constant.

4. Can electrostatic force be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

Yes, electrostatic force can be both attractive and repulsive between two charged particles. If the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive, pulling the particles towards each other. If the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive, pushing the particles away from each other.

5. How does electrostatic force differ from other types of forces?

Electrostatic force is a non-contact force, meaning it can act on objects without physically touching them. This is different from other types of forces, such as friction or tension, which require physical contact between objects. Additionally, electrostatic force is typically much stronger than other types of forces, making it an important force in many scientific and technological applications.