Electrostatic Force Between Proton and Neutron?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force and acceleration on an electron and proton in a hydrogen atom using the equations Fe = (ke q1q2)/r2 and F = ma. The resulting force was ≈8.2x10-8 Newtons for both particles, while the acceleration for the electron was ≈9.02x1022 m/s/s. However, the speaker questions the accuracy of this calculation and notes that at the atomic level, concepts of forces and acceleration may not be applicable due to the influence of quantum physics.
James Halliday
After calculating the force upon an electron and a force upon a proton in the atom of hydrogen, my result was a force of ≈8.2x10-8 Newtons acting upon the electron and proton each.
If found this by using the formula Fe = (ke q1q2)/r2

Taking this number, I then applied it in the formula F = ma to find the acceleration of the electron.
I found the acceleration of the electron to be ≈9.02x1022 m/s/s.

This doesn't seem right. Am I supposed to be using a different equation for this. I'm trying to find the acceleration of the electron based on the force acting upon it. I don't think this is how it's supposed to be calculated but I just did this because I thought it might be correct. The mass I used was ≈9.1x10-31 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot treat an atom as if it was a solar system. At the atomic level, you should leave notions of forces and acceleration behind as it is governed mainly by quantum physics.

If you anyway do not do that, yes accelerations will be huge.

Related to Electrostatic Force Between Proton and Neutron?

1. What is the electrostatic force between a proton and a neutron?

The electrostatic force between a proton and a neutron is the attractive force that exists between these two particles due to their opposite charges. Protons have a positive charge while neutrons have no charge, making them attracted to each other.

2. How does the distance between a proton and a neutron affect the electrostatic force between them?

The electrostatic force between a proton and a neutron is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the force decreases as the distance between the particles increases.

3. What is the magnitude of the electrostatic force between a proton and a neutron?

The magnitude of the electrostatic force between a proton and a neutron is approximately 10^-36 Newtons. This is a very weak force compared to other fundamental forces, such as gravity or the strong nuclear force.

4. How does the electrostatic force between a proton and a neutron contribute to the stability of an atom?

The electrostatic force between a proton and a neutron is one of the fundamental forces that holds an atom together. It helps to balance the repulsive forces between positively charged protons in the nucleus, preventing the atom from collapsing.

5. Can the electrostatic force between a proton and a neutron be repulsive?

Yes, under certain conditions, the electrostatic force between a proton and a neutron can be repulsive. This can occur when the distance between the particles is very small, and they experience the effects of the strong nuclear force, which can overcome the electrostatic force and cause repulsion.