Electrophilic nature of Carbon in CO2

In summary, the carbon in carbon dioxide is electrophilic because the molecule is symmetrical, and this makes it an addition reactant in organic reactions.
Qube
Gold Member
How is the carbon in carbon dioxide electrophilic? There is no partial positive charge on the carbon in carbon dioxide because the molecule is symmetrical.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can consider one of the pi bond in C-O bond to jump to O, thus leaving C with electron deficit, thus making it electrophile.

If you are talking about how it takes part as electrophile in various organic addition reaction, this is the way it works.

Likes 1 person
I think I got it; the carbon in carbon dioxide is electrophilic because the oxidation state of the carbon in that molecule is +4. I think what you described is what happens when carbon acts as an electrophile; I was just looking for why and I didn't see that using formal and partial charges - formal charge analysis says the carbon is neutral; partial charge analysis says that the carbon bears no partial charge because the dipoles formed by the oxygens cancel out, but oxidation state analysis tells me that the electrons bide their time with the oxygens instead of the carbon. Thank you :).

Qube said:
There is no partial positive charge on the carbon in carbon dioxide because the molecule is symmetrical.

I don't understand the argument. Linear molecule O=C=O having partial positive charge on the carbon and half negative charges on oxygens is quite symmetrical.

Borek said:
I don't understand the argument. Linear molecule O=C=O having partial positive charge on the carbon and half negative charges on oxygens is quite symmetrical.

Oops, I can see it now. So even if the dipoles cancel out, there can be partial charges?

Partial charges are seen in terms of individual bond. Since C=O bond is polar, you are expected to see partial charges.

AGNuke said:
Partial charges are seen in terms of individual bond. Since C=O bond is polar, you are expected to see partial charges.

Ah, good distinction. Thank you :)!

Related to Electrophilic nature of Carbon in CO2

What is the electrophilic nature of carbon in CO2?

The electrophilic nature of carbon in CO2 refers to its ability to attract and accept electrons from other molecules or atoms. This is due to its high electronegativity, or tendency to pull electrons towards itself, making it a strong electrophile.

Why is carbon in CO2 considered electrophilic?

Carbon in CO2 is considered electrophilic because it has a partial positive charge due to the unequal sharing of electrons in the carbon-oxygen bonds. This makes it highly reactive towards nucleophiles, or molecules with a lone pair of electrons that can donate to the carbon atom.

How does the electrophilic nature of carbon in CO2 affect its reactivity?

The electrophilic nature of carbon in CO2 makes it highly reactive towards nucleophiles, allowing it to undergo various chemical reactions such as addition reactions and substitution reactions. It also contributes to the formation of new carbon-carbon bonds in organic compounds.

What are some examples of reactions involving the electrophilic nature of carbon in CO2?

Some examples of reactions involving the electrophilic nature of carbon in CO2 include the addition of water to form carbonic acid, the formation of carbon-carbon bonds in the synthesis of organic compounds, and the reaction with amines to form carbamates.

How does the electrophilic nature of carbon in CO2 play a role in the environment?

The electrophilic nature of carbon in CO2 plays a crucial role in the environment, as it allows for the uptake and utilization of carbon by plants in photosynthesis. It also contributes to the atmospheric reactions that ultimately lead to the formation and breakdown of CO2, affecting the levels of this greenhouse gas in the atmosphere.