How long does it take to reach harmful CO2 levels in a room?

In summary: This is an extremely complex calculation and depends on many factors such as the thickness and material of the walls, the temperature and pressure differentials, and the concentration gradient. It is best to consult with a professional in this area.In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of CO2 produced by breathing, the threshold for CO2 levels indoors, the volume of a room, and the impact of ventilation on reaching 1000 ppm of CO2. It is noted that the rate of reaching 1000 ppm is dependent on various factors such as air exchange and diffusion. It is suggested to consult with a professional for a more accurate calculation.
Airbreather
TL;DR Summary
How long it takes to reach from 400 to 1000 ppm in a room?
• I exhale 1 kg of CO2 per 24 hours = 41.67g/h (average)
• Co2 indoors after ventilation = outdoors = 400 ppm (world average)
• Co2 indoors threshold = 1000 ppm (cognitive effect)
• Room volume = 32.5 m3
• Details to neglect: window and door closed tight, no HVAC system or other ventilation.

How long it takes to reach from 400 to 1000 ppm in the room? So I need to ventilate again.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the PhysicsForums way of doing things, I will try and guide you to the solution.

Airbreather said:
• I exhale 1 kg of CO2 per 24 hours = 41.67g/h (average)
How many molecules/moles is that?

Airbreather said:
• Room volume = 32.5 m3
Setting a temperature, you can use the ideal gas law to convert that to a number of molecules/moles. You can then compare with the number above (we can assume that all that breathing is doing to the air in the room is converting O2 to CO2 in a 1:1 ratio).

Airbreather said:
How long it takes to reach from 400 to 1000 ppm in the room? So I need to ventilate again.
I guess a small, closed room like that would feel stuffy after about an hour.

DrClaude said:
In the PhysicsForums way of doing things, I will try and guide you to the solution.How many molecules/moles is that?Setting a temperature, you can use the ideal gas law to convert that to a number of molecules/moles. You can then compare with the number above (we can assume that all that breathing is doing to the air in the room is converting O2 to CO2 in a 1:1 ratio).
41.67g of CO2 = 0.9468410229609557 mol

I added:
• 60pa for pressure
• 20°C for temperature
• molar 44.01 for mass of CO2
to omnicalculator.com/physics/ideal-gas-law and got 0.666698 mol for an amount of substance.

I read it as the room is supposed to be fully filled with CO2 in less than an hour, but It's not as I'm alive.

Airbreather said:
41.67g of CO2 = 0.9468410229609557 mol

I added:
• 60pa for pressure
• 20°C for temperature
• molar 44.01 for mass of CO2
to omnicalculator.com/physics/ideal-gas-law and got 0.666698 mol for an amount of substance.

I read it as the room is supposed to be fully filled with CO2 in less than an hour, but It's not as I'm alive.
Atmospheric pressure is 101325 Pa. The room will contain about 1300 moles of gas. Even with these numbers, I get that 1000 ppm of CO2 will be reached in less than 1 hour. But in anything but a sealed room, air exchange with the outside will be important.

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50, Airbreather and russ_watters
A simple calculation. There are 42 kgs of air in a 32.5 cu. m room. if 41.67 gm/hr is introduced to get 1000 ppm by weight it takes one hour.

Likes tech99, Vanadium 50 and DrClaude
First, the premise seems odd. There is no ventilation, but there is some air exchange.

Second, you don't know the amount of CO2 you produce to four digits, You just don't.

Third, the more CO2 you have the faster you lose it, So 400 ppm/hour irresepctive of concentrayion is unrealistic.

@DrClaude and @gleem made some good calculations, I do not see the impact of the air exchange.

I have 1300 moles of gas ro start. CO2 is 400ppm or 23g, In an hour, 42g comes in and 23 g leave, dor a net increase of 19g,, So just under 2 hours to hit 1000 ppm.

HOWEVER, if you remove 400 ppm every hour, snd since you start out ar 400 ppm, a more realistic model is that you exchange a volume of air every hour, In that case, you will never hit 1000.

Airbreather said:
Details to neglect: window and door closed tight, no HVAC system or other ventilation.
Vanadium 50 said:
First, the premise seems odd. There is no ventilation, but there is some air exchange.
What is the air exchange you assert, after the room is sealed?

You're right; I misread,

Likes Baluncore
DrClaude said:
Atmospheric pressure is 101325 Pa. The room will contain about 1300 moles of gas. Even with these numbers, I get that 1000 ppm of CO2 will be reached in less than 1 hour. But in anything but a sealed room, air exchange with the outside will be important.
My bad for mistaking Psi with Pa.
So now I know I can't neglect the ventilation. Is there a way to calculate when I'll reach 1000ppm in a room with one closed door and window 61x61 cm. Temperature and pressure outside are the same as in a room.

Airbreather said:
My bad for mistaking Psi with Pa.
So now I know I can't neglect the ventilation. Is there a way to calculate when I'll reach 1000ppm in a room with one closed door and window 61x61 cm. Temperature and pressure outside are the same as in a room.
Yes, you'll need to know the rate of diffusion of CO2 between the inside and the outside based on the difference in concentrations, which means you need to know the area the gas can diffuse through between the cracks and gaps in the doors and the windows. And then you need to plug that into a differential equation of some type. Unfortunately I failed that class once before passing it and haven't dealt with different equations since...

Drakkith said:
Yes, you'll need to know the rate of diffusion of CO2 between the inside and the outside based on the difference in concentrations,
It seems unlikely that diffusion will be the dominant transfer mechanism. Convection will likely transport more CO2. But how much convection will there be?

Do we have a temperature gradient to promote a circulation? In at the top of the window and out at the bottom. Or vice versa.

Is the wind blowing, either through a leaky structure or tangentially across the open window?

Is the door opposite the window an interior door (very leaky) or an exterior door with good quality weather seals? What about ducts for heating, cooling and the associated returns?

My expectation would be that an interior room with one open outside-facing window will exchange plenty of air with the outside world except, perhaps, on the calmest of days with a negligible temperature gradient. But I have no real world expertise to back that up.

Likes Drakkith and russ_watters

1. How is CO2 level measured in a room?

CO2 levels in a room can be measured using a CO2 meter, also known as a carbon dioxide meter. This device measures the concentration of CO2 in parts per million (ppm) in the air.

2. What is considered a harmful level of CO2 in a room?

A harmful level of CO2 in a room is typically considered to be above 1000 ppm. This level can cause symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, and fatigue.

3. How long does it take for CO2 levels to reach harmful levels in a room?

The time it takes for CO2 levels to reach harmful levels in a room depends on various factors such as room size, ventilation, and number of occupants. In a small, poorly ventilated room with multiple occupants, it can take as little as 15-20 minutes for CO2 levels to reach harmful levels.

4. What are the effects of prolonged exposure to high levels of CO2 in a room?

Prolonged exposure to high levels of CO2 in a room can lead to symptoms such as difficulty breathing, increased heart rate, and reduced cognitive function. It can also exacerbate existing respiratory conditions and increase the risk of developing respiratory illnesses.

5. How can I reduce CO2 levels in a room?

The most effective way to reduce CO2 levels in a room is to increase ventilation. This can be done by opening windows or using mechanical ventilation systems. Plants can also help to absorb CO2 and improve air quality in a room.