Electronic configuration for ions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of predicting electronic configurations using the building up principle. The main confusion is regarding the order in which electrons are added and removed from the d- and p-orbitals. It is mentioned that the energy levels play a role in this process, with the (n-1)d-orbitals having higher energy than the ns-orbitals for principal quantum numbers n ≥ 4. It is also noted that the ordering of orbitals changes for neutral atoms and ions, with the splitting of the orbitals being more similar to hydrogen for ions. The conversation concludes with a comment about this topic being beyond undergraduate level.
Log
When we try to predict electronic configurations by the building up principle we add electrons to the d-orbitals before the p-orbitals for principal quantum numbers n ≥ 4.

What I don't understand is why, according to my textbook, we're supposed to remove electrons from np-orbitals first, then ns-orbitals and then (n-1)d-orbitals when predicting the configuration for cations.

Why do we add electrons to (n-1)d-orbitals after ns-orbitals but remove electrons from ns-orbitals before (n-1)d-orbitals? - makes no sense.

Furthermore, if someone could explain or point me somewhere to an explanation as to how the energy levels are calculated (why E((n-1)d) > E(ns) for n ≥ 4) that would be great.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Because it makes a difference whether you are comparing neutral atoms or an atom and an ion.
On ionization the ordering of the orbitals becomes more hydrogen like, i.e. the splitting of the s, p, and d orbitals decreases.

I see, thanks - for the answer to my other question as well!

I'm guessing this is beyond undergraduate courses?

Related to Electronic configuration for ions

1. What is an electronic configuration for an ion?

An electronic configuration for an ion refers to the arrangement of electrons in the outermost energy level of an ion. It determines the ion's chemical properties and is represented by a series of numbers and letters that indicate the number of electrons in each energy level and sublevel.

2. How is the electronic configuration for an ion different from that of a neutral atom?

The electronic configuration for an ion differs from that of a neutral atom because ions have gained or lost electrons, resulting in a different number of electrons in the outermost energy level. This changes the ion's overall charge and chemical properties.

3. How does the electronic configuration for a cation differ from that of an anion?

The electronic configuration for a cation differs from that of an anion because cations are positively charged ions that have lost electrons, resulting in a smaller outermost energy level. Anions, on the other hand, are negatively charged ions that have gained electrons, resulting in a larger outermost energy level.

4. What is the significance of the noble gas electronic configuration in ions?

The noble gas electronic configuration in ions is significant because it represents a stable and full outermost energy level. This is similar to the electronic configuration of noble gases, which are chemically stable and do not easily react with other elements.

5. Can the electronic configuration of an ion change?

Yes, the electronic configuration of an ion can change if it gains or loses electrons. This is known as ionization or electron affinity, respectively, and can occur through chemical reactions or external forces such as heat or radiation.