Electron microscope theory - job opportunites

In summary, the person is starting their PhD in condensed matter theory and will be working with a well-respected individual who specializes in electron microscopy. They feel that this is a good area for them, but are unsure about the job prospects in this field outside of academia. The advice given is to have a broad coverage of different electron microscopy techniques and to also gain practical experience with experimental work, as it can make one more employable. The individual is not sure of the specific focus of their work, but it involves using scattering theory to predict electron behavior in the incident beam.
Physics15
thankyou to anyone reading this. I am starting honours in physics and have been given the opportunity to do a project that leads to a phd in the condensed matter theory. The guy I will be working with seems to specifically do work around the theory involved in electron microscopes.

hes a great guy and well respected. I also think condensed matter theory is a good area for me. The electron microscope stuff I am less sure on. I know these type of questions are often asked and I know things change quickly but what I want to know is in your opinion are there jobs for someone with a phd concerning electron microscope theory?

I ask because I want to enter an area where there are good interesting jobs potentially, though they may not plentiful I would like there to be some potential for employment outside of academia. Anything you know about this area would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't actually clarify what kind of "electron microscopy" that you will be working on. This is because if it is JUST on the general physics of electron microscope, then it is more of a detector/device study than condensed matter, even though many different types of electron microscopy techniques are used in material science, condensed matter, chemistry, biology, etc. In other words, it is a theoretical study, advanced development, etc. of a specific type of electron microscopy for a particular application in condensed matter?

If I were you, I would try to make it as broad of a coverage as possible, i.e. encompassing several different electron microscopy techniques, and include some experimental work so that you are familiar with what people actually use them for! Often, theorists who also understand the experimental aspects of the theory tend to be more "practical" and more useful than those who don't. Besides, knowing how to use an instrument increases your "employability" in the sense that you can actually make a measurement and do something practically useful.

Zz.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing in regards to electron microscopy. It looks like he does different things, some focussing on using scattering theory to better predict what happens to electrons in the incident beam. I'm not too sure really at this point. It's definitely not practical though.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Related to Electron microscope theory - job opportunites

1. What is the theory behind electron microscopes?

The theory behind electron microscopes involves using a beam of electrons instead of a beam of light to create an image of a specimen. This allows for much higher magnification and resolution compared to traditional light microscopes.

2. What kind of jobs can I get with a background in electron microscope theory?

With a background in electron microscope theory, you can pursue careers in various fields such as research, materials science, medicine, forensic science, and manufacturing. Some job titles include electron microscopist, research scientist, materials engineer, and quality control technician.

3. Is there a high demand for professionals with knowledge of electron microscope theory?

Yes, there is a high demand for professionals with knowledge of electron microscope theory. With advancements in technology and research, the use of electron microscopes is becoming increasingly prevalent in various industries, leading to a high demand for skilled individuals in this field.

4. What education and training is required for a career in electron microscope theory?

To pursue a career in electron microscope theory, you typically need a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as physics, engineering, or materials science. Some positions may require a master's or doctoral degree, as well as specific training in electron microscopy techniques.

5. How does the job outlook for electron microscope theory professionals look in the future?

The job outlook for electron microscope theory professionals is expected to be positive in the future. With the continuous advancements in technology and the increasing use of electron microscopes in various industries, the demand for skilled professionals in this field is likely to continue to grow.