Electron Diffraction and the DeBroglie Wavelength

In summary, the conversation was discussing the proof for the wavelength of an electron in a tunneling electron microscope. The proof accounted for relativistic effects and yielded a term for momentum, which can be represented as ##p=\sqrt {2meV}##. The energy for this can be calculated using the formula ##E=\sqrt{p^2 c^2+m^2 c^4}=m c^2+e V##, where ##m## is the invariant mass of the electron. This is important in relativity as it allows for the representation of ##(p^{\mu})=(E/c,\vec{p})## as a Minkowski four-vector.
Guest432
I've been reading up on electron diffraction for electron microscopy, and I have been trying to understand the proof for the wavelength of an electron in a tunneling electron microscope. The proof I have been trying to emulate begins as follows:

upload_2016-10-25_12-22-31.png

It then says that I must account for relativistic effects so, ##E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4## and manages to yield this term for momentum

How did it jump from ##p=\sqrt {2meV}## to that? (Note delta ##\Delta E = eV##)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy is
$$E=\sqrt{p^2 c^2+m^2 c^4}=m c^2+e V.$$
The reason is that in relativity you always include the rest energy, ##mc^2## in the kinetic energy, because then ##(p^{\mu})=(E/c,\vec{p})## is a Minkowski four-vector. Note that here (and in contemporary physics always!) ##m## is the invariant mass of the particle, i.e., in this case for an electron ##mc^2 \simeq 0.511 \; \mathrm{MeV}##.

Likes Guest432

Related to Electron Diffraction and the DeBroglie Wavelength

1. What is electron diffraction?

Electron diffraction is a phenomenon in which electrons behave like waves and interfere with each other when passing through a crystalline material, resulting in a diffraction pattern.

2. How is the DeBroglie wavelength related to electron diffraction?

The DeBroglie wavelength is a concept that describes the wave-like behavior of particles, such as electrons. In electron diffraction, the DeBroglie wavelength is used to determine the spacing between atoms in a crystalline material.

3. What is the significance of electron diffraction in science?

Electron diffraction has many applications in science, including the determination of crystal structures, analysis of materials, and the study of quantum mechanics.

4. How is electron diffraction different from X-ray diffraction?

Electron diffraction and X-ray diffraction are both techniques used to analyze the structure of materials. However, electron diffraction uses a beam of electrons, while X-ray diffraction uses a beam of X-rays. Additionally, electron diffraction is more sensitive to the atomic arrangement of materials.

5. Can electron diffraction be used to study non-crystalline materials?

Yes, electron diffraction can also be used to study non-crystalline materials, such as amorphous solids and liquids. However, the diffraction patterns may be more complex and difficult to interpret compared to crystalline materials.