Electron collides with an antimuon

• Thread starter randombill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary: In that case, I guess it would be more accurate to say that the collision creates "antineutrinos" (since they are different than the original neutrinos), and that they would then be able to "oscillate" between being an electron neutrino or a muon antineutrino.Ah, ok. In that case, I guess it would be more accurate to say that the collision creates "antineutrinos" (since they are different than the original neutrinos), and that they would then be able to "oscillate" between being an electron neutrino or a muon antineutrino.
randombill
What would happen if an electron collided with an antimuon? I'm assuming an antimuon is positively charged.

Physics news on Phys.org
They would scatter like any two charged leptons. They would not annihilate.

They could annihilate into an electron neutrino and a muon antineutrino.

Bill_K said:
They could annihilate into an electron neutrino and a muon antineutrino.

Really? Even though they aren't antiparticles? I've never heard of annihilation of particles except with their own antiparticles.

It would be nice to see answers with supporting scientific evidence but I don't disbelieve any of you yet.

Tree level is a t-channel decay, the electron and muon exchange a W boson, and the outgoing particles are the neutrinos as Bill_K says.
Either that or they scatter via photon exchange.

If you collide them with enough energy then a huge number of things can happen. Everything that usually happens in a particle collider. Overwhelmingly they will just scatter though.

If their energy is low enough they could form muonium, which is pretty cool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muonium).

Hepth said:
Tree level is a t-channel decay, the electron and muon exchange a W boson, and the outgoing particles are the neutrinos as Bill_K says.
Either that or they scatter via photon exchange.

Is that "annihilation"?

Drakkith said:
Is that "annihilation"?

I suppose it is a matter of terminology, but I personally wouldn't call it that. Each initial charged lepton and final neutrino are part of the same SU(2) doublet, so they are "sort of" flipside particles of each other. You couldn't possibly get anything else out of that W exchange. In a "real" annihilation you get some neutral mediator particle (Z, photon, gluon) in the s-channel which can then split into basically any other particle/antiparticle pair.

But you can call it what you like. I agree with Hepth that "decay" may be a better word, although it is quite an exotic sort of decay. It is a weak interaction so it would be quite rare.

Well ok maybe annihilation is a good word, you basically see nothing as a result of it, so it is maybe even a better annihilation than the usualy kind!

Last edited:
What do you mean by saying you wouldn't see anything as a result?

Drakkith said:
What do you mean by saying you wouldn't see anything as a result?

Well you aren't going to detect the neutrinos, so in your experiment it will just look like electrons and muons are vanishing. Some of the time, anyway.

kurros said:
Well you aren't going to detect the neutrinos, so in your experiment it will just look like electrons and muons are vanishing. Some of the time, anyway.

Ah, ok.

Related to Electron collides with an antimuon

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits around the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up all matter.

2. What is an antimuon?

An antimuon is the antiparticle of a muon, which is a subatomic particle with a negative charge. It has the same mass as a muon, but opposite charge.

3. What happens when an electron collides with an antimuon?

When an electron collides with an antimuon, they annihilate each other and release energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is known as electron-positron annihilation.

4. Why do scientists study electron colliding with antimuons?

Scientists study this process to understand the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions. It also helps in developing theories and models of particle physics.

5. What are the potential applications of studying electron colliding with antimuons?

Studying the collision of electron and antimuons can have potential applications in medical imaging, such as PET scans, as well as in the development of new technologies in particle accelerators and high-energy physics research.