Electron and hole contributions to the current of a diode

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a question related to a symmetric diode operating in forward bias with a total current of 1mA. They are unsure about how to approach the question and ask for any help or pointers. They also mention finding a relevant equation and question what each term represents.
stagger_lee
Having some trouble with this question. I don't even know where to start to be honest. Any help/pointers greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Been working on this for a while now and have found a possible relevant equation to add. Am I heading in the right direction? I don't even know what each term represents!

Homework Statement

A symmetric diode operates in forward bias with a total current of 1mA. What are the electron and hole contributions to this current?

(i) In the space-change region
(ii) In the neutral n-region, one diffusion length from the edge of the space-charge region
(iii) In the neutral n-region, ten diffusion lengths from the edge of the space-charge region

Homework Equations

Would I use the diffusion constant?

D = [tex]V{t}[/tex]I

D = diffusion constant?
[tex]V{t}[/tex] = ??
I = current ??

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[/b]I'm really not sure on how to approach this question. Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Related to Electron and hole contributions to the current of a diode

1. What is a diode and how does it work?

A diode is a two-terminal electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It works by having a P-N junction, where one side is doped with a material that has an excess of electrons (N-type) and the other side is doped with a material that has a deficiency of electrons (P-type). When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the P-N junction allows current to flow, but when the voltage is reversed, the junction blocks the flow of current.

2. How do electrons and holes contribute to the current of a diode?

In a diode, electrons and holes are the charge carriers that contribute to the flow of current. In the forward bias, electrons from the N-type material flow towards the P-type material, while holes from the P-type material flow towards the N-type material. This flow of electrons and holes is what creates the current in a diode.

3. What is the difference between electron and hole contributions to the current?

The main difference between electron and hole contributions to the current in a diode is their charge and mobility. Electrons have a negative charge and are more mobile than holes, which have a positive charge. This means that electrons contribute more to the current in a diode compared to holes.

4. How does temperature affect the contributions of electrons and holes to the current of a diode?

Temperature affects the contributions of electrons and holes to the current of a diode in two ways. Firstly, as temperature increases, the number of electron-hole pairs increases, which results in a higher current. Secondly, temperature also affects the mobility of the charge carriers, with electrons becoming less mobile and holes becoming more mobile at higher temperatures. This can change the relative contributions of electrons and holes to the current.

5. Can the contributions of electrons and holes to the current be controlled?

Yes, the contributions of electrons and holes to the current can be controlled by adjusting the doping levels of the P-N junction in a diode. By changing the doping levels, the number of electrons and holes can be altered, which can affect the current flow. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and applied voltage can also be used to control the contributions of electrons and holes to the current in a diode.