Electromagnets and contactor relays

In summary, you need to make sure the wire you are using is the right gauge and that you have enough of it. You also need to make sure the turns you make on the coil are the right number so that the electromagnet will only draw a small amount of current from the power supply.
raymond621
I am supposed to make an electromagnet for a project.
how will i know what gauge of wire to use and how many turns do i need so that my electromagnet will only get 100mA of current from a 24V dc source?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raymond
welcome to PF :smile:

do you know Ohms Law ?

if I said Resistance in Ohms = volts / current

can you plug in the values and come up with a value of resistance

then you will need to do some searching on values of resistance per metre (foot) of different gauges of wire
and determine how much wire you need

lets see how you go with the first part for a start :smile:Dave

Thank you sir! Well I have solved it already. I got 2 different gauges of wire to be sure. I need to get less than 100mA of current so,
For the 31 awg wire, I need to have 500 m of wire.
For the 33 awg wire, I need to have 670 m of wire approximately.
My problem is now how many turns or how many times do i need to coil it around my steel core?
Actually I need this electromagnet to make a contactor relay. Is there any more things I need to consider in order to make the relay work for at least 10 minutes?

raymond621 said:
For the 31 awg wire, I need to have 500 m of wire.
For the 33 awg wire, I need to have 670 m of wire approximately.

That sounds the wrong way around

33awg is thinner than 31 awg so it's resistance would be higher and therefore a shorter length needed :smile:
just check your thoughts there

I hope it is enamel insulated wire ? ( sometimes called magnet wire)

raymond621 said:
My problem is now how many turns or how many times do i need to coil it around my steel core?

you need ALL of it wrapped around the core, except the fly leads off the end to go to the power supply

raymond621 said:
Actually I need this electromagnet to make a contactor relay. Is there any more things I need to consider in order to make the relay work for at least 10 minutes?

time isn't an issue with the small current you are drawing from the power supplyDave

Yup, a magnetic wire! Thank you very much for your help Mr. Dave!

you are welcome

post back in the thread at some stage a pic of your electromagnet
and keep us informed on how your experiment is going :smile:

Allright! Thanks again sir!

looking good, have fun with your continued experiments :smile:

Related to Electromagnets and contactor relays

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created when an electric current flows through a wire. The wire is wrapped around a metal core, such as iron, and the current creates a magnetic field, which can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

2. How do electromagnets work in contactor relays?

In contactor relays, an electromagnet is used to control the flow of electricity to a device. When an electrical signal is sent to the coil of the electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field that pulls a metal arm, or contact, towards it. This contact then closes an electrical circuit, allowing the current to flow to the device. When the signal is turned off, the magnetic field disappears and the contact opens, breaking the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using electromagnets in contactor relays?

Electromagnets offer several advantages in contactor relays. They are lightweight, compact, and can be easily controlled by varying the amount of current flowing through the wire. They also have a quick response time, making them ideal for applications that require fast switching.

4. Can electromagnets be adjusted to different strengths?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the number of turns in the wire coil, the amount of current flowing through the wire, or the type of metal used for the core. By adjusting these factors, the magnetic field and strength of the electromagnet can be altered.

5. What are some common uses for electromagnets and contactor relays?

Electromagnets and contactor relays are used in a variety of applications, such as controlling electrical motors, switching on and off power to devices, and in circuit breakers. They are also commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings for automation and control systems.