Electromagnetic Waves: Static Magnetic Fields

In summary, magnetostatics is the study of magnetic fields that do not change or change very little. It is often questioned whether a static magnetic field can be considered part of the electromagnetic field, as there is no electric field since the magnetic field is not changing. However, even in seemingly steady magnetic fields, there are small changes in currents and materials that create them, making it impossible to have a purely static magnetic field. Therefore, it can be concluded that there is no magnetic field without an accompanying electric field. This is because the two are part of the combined Electromagnetic force, and are seen under different conditions depending on the observer's frame of reference.
nemesiswes
I was just thinking about electromagnetic fields and magnetostatics. Magnetostatics is the study of magnetic fields where they do not change or very little. I was wondering if a static magnetic field is still considered part of a Electromagnetic field? Since the magnetic field is not changing, then there should be no electric field.However a thought did occur which is that even though the magnetic field may be steady, in reality it can never be in perfect steady state because there is still small changes in the currents and even in the material which created it which cause a change. Even if the changes are over the lifetime of the universe, that is still considered a change, very small but still a change. So from this I assume that there is no such thing as a magnetic field without a electric field. It is just that in say a bar magnet which does not seem to change, the electric component of the electromagnetic field is very small because there is very little change in the magnetic field.

Is the right? That there is and can never be magnetic field without a electric field.

It seems to make perfect since now, especially since I read and hear they are both the same thing and create each other but now I think I actually understand it since I started trying to model it in my head. The problem I use to have was how was a magnetic field from a electromagnet can somehow become a electromagnetic field and the answer is it never did, it was always part of it because it always had an electric component.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The electric and magnetic forces are part of the combined Electromagnetic force. I would say that saying the "EM Field" is perfectly fine overall. If you want to discuss a particular aspect of the field, such as the magnetic field of a magnet, you can simply say "Magnetic Field".

One thing to remember is that an electric field looks like a magnetic field if you are moving by it or it is changing, and the magnetic field looks like an electric field in the same situation. It simply depends on your frame of reference. They are both part of the Electromagnetic field, with each part seen under different conditions.

Related to Electromagnetic Waves: Static Magnetic Fields

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that consists of electric and magnetic fields oscillating at right angles to each other and traveling through space at the speed of light. They are produced by the acceleration of electrons or other charged particles.

2. What is a static magnetic field?

A static magnetic field is a magnetic field that does not change over time. It is produced by a stationary magnet or a steady flow of electric current. Unlike electromagnetic waves, which are constantly changing, static magnetic fields remain constant in strength and direction.

3. How are electromagnetic waves and static magnetic fields related?

Electromagnetic waves and static magnetic fields are both components of the electromagnetic spectrum. While electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that can travel through space, static magnetic fields are a type of force that can be exerted on charged particles. Electromagnetic waves can also be used to create static magnetic fields.

4. What are the applications of static magnetic fields?

Static magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in both scientific research and everyday life. They are used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), as well as in particle accelerators, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in various industrial processes, such as separating different types of materials.

5. Are static magnetic fields harmful to humans?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that exposure to static magnetic fields is harmful to humans. In fact, static magnetic fields have been used in medical treatments for conditions such as chronic pain and depression. However, exposure to extremely strong static magnetic fields, such as those found in MRI machines, may cause some minor side effects such as dizziness and nausea in some individuals.