Electromagnetic radiation pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses radiation pressure and polarization in relation to a ray of light being reflected with an incident angle θ and intensity I. The formula for radiation pressure is determined to be 2Icos^2(θ)/c, and the change in momentum is calculated to be 2cosθ*h/λ. The concept of polarization is explained, with the direction of the E-field being the direction of polarization. Unpolarized light is described as having randomly changing directions of oscillation. It is also mentioned that, in addition to a smaller momentum change, intensity is reduced by a cosine factor.
Small bugs
I am confused with the fact of radiation pressure on Wiki and my homework solution. They are both arguing that the pressure produced by a ray of light to be reflected with incident angle θ and intensity I is:
$$\frac{2I\cos^2(\theta)}{c}$$
My thinking
We know that:
$$Ft=\Delta p$$
We see the situation where the ray is reflected:
Sail-Force1.gif

The change of momentum is
$$2\cos\theta\frac{h}{\lambda}$$
And also with other equalities then we get (also I got)
\frac{2I\cos(\theta)}{c}
Rather that cos2... Why?
The second question is about polarisation. Does polarisation direction mean the direction from the peak and perpendicular to the axis so it is just the direction of the E-or H-field?? What is unpolarized light? But as long as the sinusoid wave is spreading and oscillating, then it must have a direction of oscillation, so how can we say it is UNpolarized?

Physics news on Phys.org
In addition to the smaller momentum change, your intensity gets reduced by another cosine factor.
Small bugs said:
Does polarisation direction mean the direction from the peak and perpendicular to the axis so it is just the direction of the E-or H-field?
The E-field.
Small bugs said:
What is unpolarized light? But as long as the sinusoid wave is spreading and oscillating, then it must have a direction of oscillation, so how can we say it is UNpolarized?
The direction can change incoherently and randomly.

Related to Electromagnetic radiation pressure

1. What is electromagnetic radiation pressure?

Electromagnetic radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic waves on an object. This force is caused by the transfer of momentum from the waves to the object.

2. How is electromagnetic radiation pressure calculated?

Electromagnetic radiation pressure can be calculated using the formula P = I/c, where P is the pressure, I is the intensity of the radiation, and c is the speed of light.

3. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic radiation pressure?

One example of electromagnetic radiation pressure in action is in solar sails, which use the force of sunlight to propel spacecraft through space. This force can also be used in optical tweezers, a tool used in biology and physics to manipulate small particles.

4. How does electromagnetic radiation pressure affect objects in space?

In space, objects can experience a significant amount of radiation pressure from sources such as the sun. This pressure can cause objects to move or accelerate in a specific direction, and can also play a role in the formation of celestial bodies.

5. What are some potential dangers of electromagnetic radiation pressure?

While electromagnetic radiation pressure has many useful applications, it can also pose a threat to sensitive equipment and electronics. High levels of radiation pressure can also cause damage to living organisms, which is why proper safety precautions are essential when working with sources of radiation.